Paddle

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
How much am I looking at to buy a paddle for the kayak i've just bought?? dont know what the prices are going at. and does anyone know where I can pick one up cheap? once again is evil-bay the best bet?

Cheers

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Buy a banded and graded whitewood Board. This is a piece of 1.25" thick whitewood (spruce) that has fewer knots or inclusions than other timber. The banded bit means that the ends have a strap of steel around them to prevent splitting.

The common name for the above is a scaffold board so you wont find them at B & Q.

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
If your just starting paddling ebay is fine. If you have a paddling shop close to you drop in and have a chat about the length you need. Don't bother to much about the feather just now. Try the different makes as the grip is larger or narrower dependent upon make. Basically get something to get you on the water as your style and efficiency will change as you gain skills and experience

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
It looks a bit like a toy one for a blowup dinghy we used to have.
It was ok for the kids to mess about with but I don't think it would
stand up to regular use in a kayak by an adult.Not that I am in any
way an expert.Have you tried an ad on Song of the Paddle or a trip
to your local canoe club?
Hope this helps , Simon

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
The ebay one that Baldy-Old-Troll has listed but its a long one. To give you an idea, I'm 5' 10 and use a 203 or 205 in my river boat and a 215 in my touring boat. When I started a couple of years ago one paddle did everything and got me going but as I have progressed to ww and touring you notice the difference in terms of efficiency and ease of use but I could still use one paddle if needs be. As a rule of thumb to get started, if you stand the paddle upright, reach up with one hand and hold the top of the paddle. Your arm should still be slightly bent, less than 45 degrees but not stretched

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE