Packlist: 8,5 kg (including food) - 7 days solo alpine running (sleeping out)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hi Susanne,

Nice load out and a nice trip. May I please ask what your "wet" weight was?

With the spackle, I can see you getting the calories easily enough, do you get hunger pangs though due to lack of substance in the stomach?

Hi Susanne,

Nice load out and a nice trip. May I please ask what your "wet" weight was?

With the spackle, I can see you getting the calories easily enough, do you get hunger pangs though due to lack of substance in the stomach?

Hey,

Thanks man.

Starting Wet weight was: 8,5kg (including food for 3,5 days) plus 1,0kg of water.

Spackle was not the only food of course. But actually there is a huge amount of fibre in the spackle so the stomach is fulfilled all the time.
Also had
Chia seeds
Nuts
Soup
Rice noodles
Protein bars - one each day
Hammer Nutriton - Sustained Energy
Palmin coconut fat (Secret weapon!!! One block of 25gr is 250kcal)
Coffee
and so on

Did you calculate a target calorie intake for your daily rations?

Were you using synthetic or wool base layer?

Julia

Patagonia Capilene lightest weight for the base because I wanted quick dry as the very first criteria. I needed that because everything that goes inside down sleeping bag MUST be dry...

I wanted 5-7 calories per gram and about 600-750grams of food per day.... about 3000-3700 calories per day.

Yes, I was burning more than that but I have some "bioprene" to burn and in any case the body can only usefully process a certain number of calories per hour when under duress.

My strategy is to consume food every hour and try to keep on top of the calories. Evening meal was mainly to keep me warm at night and for mouth-pleasure
Palmin goes in every hot food or drink (250kcal for each 25gr block!!!)

:)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Yikess... Nooo -- - -- never ever rinse/wash into a stream. NOOOO.... Seriously. Never. Ever. Dude. Never. Ever. Plasteeeek bag of water. Bandanna. Faaar away from stream.

Backpack has also a waist belt. Not much to carry really.

70kg is mucho muscles also...

I know chemicals go into the hedge away, but I wouldn't have thought rinsing a top in the stream would have been that bad.

8.5 is enough especially spread eagling you all day long. I find 12 kilos and no matter how full of energy I feel my skeleton complains.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Patagonia Capilene lightest weight for the base because I wanted quick dry as the very first criteria. I needed that because everything that goes inside down sleeping bag MUST be dry...

Interesting. I've been ogling some merino base layers ready for this coming winter.

I wanted 5-7 calories per gram and about 600-750grams of food per day.... about 3000-3700 calories per day.

Yes, I was burning more than that but I have some "bioprene" to burn and in any case the body can only usefully process a certain number of calories per hour when under duress.

Bioprene, Love it. I'm certainly carrying more Kummerspek than I should. I've been pondering what the right level of deficit between calorie input and output is to maintain function, but also to burn off some of the Bioprene.

My strategy is to consume food every hour and try to keep on top of the calories. Evening meal was mainly to keep me warm at night and for mouth-pleasure
Palmin goes in every hot food or drink (250kcal for each 25gr block!!!)

Interesting ideas.

8.5 is enough especially spread eagling you all day long. I find 12 kilos and no matter how full of energy I feel my skeleton complains.

Wandering out into the Kentish Wilderness with 13kg dry weight, and 16kg wet, I vowed to reduce my pack weight as much as I can. Target is a dry weight of 9kg including camera.

Julia

I know chemicals go into the hedge away, but I wouldn't have thought rinsing a top in the stream would have been that bad.

It just destroys the water tension, and is just not happy for the stream in general. Would you love to drink my capilene rinse water...? Meh...

8,5kg distributed on belt and shoulders was happy for me. But then I also try to run/move in a very flowing way (especially downhill) so I don't have much jerking or banging around. And my frame is also very used to it.

:)

Interesting. I've been ogling some merino base layers ready for this coming winter.

Bioprene, Love it. I'm certainly carrying more Kummerspek than I should. I've been pondering what the right level of deficit between calorie input and output is to maintain function, but also to burn off some of the Bioprene.

Interesting ideas.

Wandering out into the Kentish Wilderness with 13kg dry weight, and 16kg wet, I vowed to reduce my pack weight as much as I can. Target is a dry weight of 9kg including camera.

Julia

Hey...

Mmm 16kg is a lot. No fun. Good to work on getting a bit lighter. You will be amazed. No suffering involved.

Try the 3-4-3 method.
The big 3 items should be less than 3kg in total.
http://www.fjaderlatt.se/p/343-method.html

Merino rocks for the winter... In the winter the key is anyway not to sweat. When it is really cold you need to avoid sweating at ALL costs. Even if that means moving slower...

Bioprene is an wonderful thing.

I think you are going to have a wonderful time working on all this....

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Hey...

Mmm 16kg is a lot. No fun. Good to work on getting a bit lighter. You will be amazed. No suffering involved.

Try the 3-4-3 method.
The big 3 items should be less than 3kg in total.
http://www.fjaderlatt.se/p/343-method.html

Aye. I've got my pack and shelter down to under 1kg each, but being a cold sleeper, and not yet being able to afford a down sleeping bag, I haven't managed to get the sleeping bag + matt down to the magic 1kg, meaning I am more like 3-4-4 (3-4-4.5 in winter). Hence my intrigue about your space blanket inside the tarp, to see if I could get some extra warmth in my shelter that way.

Being a photographer, my camera gear weighs in at 2kg. Which doesn't help the dry pack weight. My current (once I have the money), target expedition pack list comes in at 7.5kg dry weight, before I add food, water and camera.

Merino rocks for the winter... In the winter the key is anyway not to sweat. When it is really cold you need to avoid sweating at ALL costs. Even if that means moving slower...

Here in the UK unless I head north, it's unlikely I'll be out below -5°C. But I am conscious that I don't want to keep buying kit, so if I can get something for UK use this year, that I can use in winter in the alps next year, that's a bonus.

Bioprene is an wonderful thing.

I think you are going to have a wonderful time working on all this....

It's certainly a bit of an adventure. My new tarp has just shaved 700g off my pack weight. Another payday or so and a new bivvi will take another 500g off, bringing me down to about 4kg for the big three. Tho looking at my big winter sleeping bag, I'm not sure it's going to fit in this backpack, so may have to investigate the expedition pack.

Then all I need to do is get fitter...

Julia

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hey,

Thanks man.

Starting Wet weight was: 8,5kg (including food for 3,5 days) plus 1,0kg of water.

Spackle was not the only food of course. But actually there is a huge amount of fibre in the spackle so the stomach is fulfilled all the time.
Also had
Chia seeds
Nuts
Soup
Rice noodles
Protein bars - one each day
Hammer Nutriton - Sustained Energy
Palmin coconut fat (Secret weapon!!! One block of 25gr is 250kcal)
Coffee
and so on

My weight isn't too dissimilar. I've never spent more that £50 on a bit of kit previously but I've realized that to get really light I'm gonna have to. so there are a few gucci bits of kit on the list, but the majority is cheap and therefore not as light as it could be. My 3-4 day autumn load out is 11.75kg (wet) for an area in the UK where water is not readily available, where water is available I'm thinking that I can easily lose 1.5kg from the loadout. Here's my bastardized list borrowed from another chap on here. If a weight doesn't appear it's not carried. ONLY the first line of the Total Weight is correct: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsSWh_UoHgN-dG5KdTdoNC1ER1hyTlNNVzhRU28yNnc&usp=sharing

Last edited:
My weight isn't too dissimilar. I've never spent more that £50 on a bit of kit previously but I've realized that to get really light I'm gonna have to. so there are a few gucci bits of kit on the list, but the majority is cheap and therefore not as light as it could be. My 3-4 day autumn load out is 11.75kg (wet) for an area in the UK where water is not readily available, where water is available I'm thinking that I can easily lose 1.5kg from the loadout. Here's my bastardized list borrowed from another chap on here. If a weight doesn't appear it's not carried. ONLY the first line of the Total Weight is correct: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsSWh_UoHgN-dG5KdTdoNC1ER1hyTlNNVzhRU28yNnc&usp=sharing

Awesome list... I am thinking about it quite a bit...

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Suzanna, I loved your video and your outlook, your alpine trip looked really amazing with so many changes of scenery and beauty all around.

Thanks so much for sharing it.

Suzanna, I loved your video and your outlook, your alpine trip looked really amazing with so many changes of scenery and beauty all around.

Thanks so much for sharing it.

Hey Squidders.... Thank you very much. If all goes well I will be on a 4/5 day run similiar to this one by tomorrow evening. But 1000m higher and no re-supply.

SealSkinz and an extra jumper I think....

S

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
One of the great things about this thread is it has gotten me seriously thinking about what I can get away with next year when I go walk (slowly wander) the West Highland Way. Thinking a 35l pack instead of 65l over 7 days for a changes.

One of the great things about this thread is it has gotten me seriously thinking about what I can get away with next year when I go walk (slowly wander) the West Highland Way. Thinking a 35l pack instead of 65l over 7 days for a changes.

Ooooh 35l for SURE....

Just practice a bit beforehand in overnighters in DIRE weather - so you know just how awesome cozy you will be.

Go for it!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE