Pack comparrison

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
Pack weight now down to 13 kg at last!! without food & water feels :D
So here's my kit:
Sleep system
DD solo tarp, pipedream 600, air mat, bivi bag,
Cooking
stainless pan, booster liq/gas stove, knife & fork, salt, perrer & ogegano
Hygine
1.5 ltr bottle, 2ltr water bladder, wash kit, small 1st aid kit, micron filter,
General kit
small torch, head torch, plastic trowel, compass, pole, 4 spare AA batteries, OS map, lighter, knife,
Clothes
water proofs, spare top, spare socks & boxers (as required)

I started out with everything kitchen sink and the toilet for good measure but have got the weight down. Would still like to cut down a little more in the future but for now I think I'll enjoy a few luxurys. How does this compare to your kit?

Last edited:

qsalister

Feb 5, 2012
South Yorkshire
Looks like a similar kit to what I'm trying to acquire at the moment. Never weighed my full kit, but I've converted to a tarp and bivy instead of a Vango Banshee 300 which has given me more space and saved a nice chunk of weight. What air matt and bivy are you using?

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Pack weight now down to 13 kg at last!! without food & water feels :D
So here's my kit:
Sleep system
DD solo tarp, pipedream 600, air mat, bivi bag,
Cooking
stainless pan, booster liq/gas stove, knife & fork, salt, perrer & ogegano
Hygine
1.5 ltr bottle, 2ltr water bladder, wash kit, small 1st aid kit, micron filter,
General kit
small torch, head torch, plastic trowel, compass, pole, 4 spare AA batteries, OS map, lighter, knife,
Clothes
water proofs, spare top, spare socks & boxers (as required)

I started out with everything kitchen sink and the toilet for good measure but have got the weight down. Would still like to cut down a little more in the future but for now I think I'll enjoy a few luxurys. How does this compare to your kit?

Hi mate, your kit list looks really good!!
Thats defo the sort of weight that I want to get down to but Im struggling tbh!!
Have you ever thought about something like a honey stove? It is very light and gives you a lot of options, plus there is also the money saving side of not having to buy gas!!!
Any tips you can give me for getting my pack weight down?
I have a habit of taking too much reduntcey ie a liighter and then another 1 or 2 ways to make fire!!
Cheers
Steve

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
My pack's a Berghaus Verden 65+10 I found it in a black sale with about £40 off, tried it on (alot of straps to play with) but after all of the fiddling it fit like a glove and at that price I forgot how to say no :D
Regarding the stove it does perhapse weigh a bit more than other options but it was cheap and I get along with it - rather than buying it as a whole you can often pick the stove up for £5-£10 the fuel bottle for £5 and a pump for £5, it does sound like one of the turbines I work with when on full burn though.

Qsalister - I'm now using an Exped Synmat UL 7 (treated my self after I got some back pay last month) and I have an Army bivi - weighs a bit more than some but seems bomb proof and on a clear night when a tarp isn't needed keeps me well hidden, not that I camp anywhere where I shouldn't :rolleyes:

Regarding tips I'm not sure I'm the person to ask there are a people with a life times more experience than me on here and dozens of threads started by them about it. But I mainly cut down on weight by getting a lighter sleeping bag, packing less spare clothes and treating my self to a light weight present or two when I get some over-time or a christmas bonus. But mainly I just cut out excess luxurys which I brought just in case and never used - extra pots, extra gas, excess rope for my tarp (still more of that to go but want to experiment with new setups first) and I've still got to cut my ground sheet to size.
Regards Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE