p38 or p51

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
I think the slightly larger one (p58) is better as wen ur hands get cold its easier to use. The Canadian ones are also pretty good as they're similar to the p58 but have a spoon shaped end... To use as a spoon.
All the best n happy new year to all =D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think the slightly larger one (p58) is better as wen ur hands get cold its easier to use. The Canadian ones are also pretty good as they're similar to the p58 but have a spoon shaped end... To use as a spoon.
All the best n happy new year to all =D

Actually I believe that's an Aussie design rather than Canadian. It's called a F.R.E.D. (Properrly meaning "Food Retrieval & Eating Devise" but known among the troops as "F***ing Rediculous Eating Devise")

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Are they good for multiple use or do you have to chuck them once they've been used? My cheap placcy one died a few weeks ago so need another one for my wannigan.

They're good for multiple use. Back when they still issued C-rations there was one in every package. You always put the fist one you got on the chain with you dog tags and the second one on your key ring. That way you always had one with you.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Does.anyone have one to trade?

Not at the moment MoT. But I'll keep my eyes open on this end; they didn't used to be hard to locate but I haven't tried since they quit issuing C-Rats. If I come across one I'll let you know and if postage is cheap enough I'll send it gratis. (I expect postage won't be a problem as it should fit in an ordinary envelope.

Don't give up your search just yet though, it may be harder to locate here than I believe.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I may have one lying around. I have both sizes. I'll pm you if I find one.

Yup, found one of the larger ones. I like them and use them a fair bit.

PM incoming...

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Depends on your defintion of "handy." These 2 items are smaller than a coin and easiest to always have with you.

Yup, they weigh nothing and are way faster than a Swiss Army knife opening cans.

I should have a spare John Wayne if you haven't sourced one yet Sam, just let me know if you still need one.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Has anyone tried the Bulgarian version, it sounds similar to the Canadian one ..

bulgarian.jpg

ebay linky

Now sorted for this thanks folks.

Paul-its a trade not a purchase so allowed. I already have one thing causing me to break my resolution a water filter as i took too long debating which one i wanted so one fail but that should be it.
Gonna be making some kit soon.....eep not my strongest talent

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE