P Baker, folding bushcraft knife O1 steel. The Hideaway prototype

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Hi guys, what we have here is Paul Bakers first folding Hideaway knife. It's the prototype Hideaway. Nickle Silver bolsters, O1 tool steel blade with a scandi bevel. I believe it has English Walnut scales and it has red liners.

I tried to be as revealing as possible with the pictures. The backside of the blade has some marks (not from use, I have never used this knife, I think they are steel imperfections or slight pitting but I can not detect any hint of rust) and the front has some slight marks as well. Its O1 steel, what can you do?;)

Knife has been stored carefully with a nice coating of Tuf Glide.

The knife locks up well and I have spine whacked it several times to test the lock up.

There is a tiny bit of blade wiggle on the knife if you pull it but nothing significant in my opinion. I have tried tightening the blade pivot screw and that made no difference so I believe its the thickness of the washers. Either way, it does not effect the lock up or use of the knife in the slightest.

Its a handmade knife and Paul's first effort. He did a great job in my opinion.

Its a bit rough round the edges in some respects but the knife is a tank. Very thick blade and the liners in the handle are suitably thick. Lockbar also. Easily three times the thickness of a Spyderco Military's lock bar. So its totally overbuilt.

Its the ideal locking bushcraft blade IMHO if you love the scandi grind and O1 steel.

There is of course no pocket clip with this design as its a folding bushcraft knife and not a pocket knife. I do not have a sheath for it.

I don't think Paul makes these any more as the level of work required to make these was quite intensive.

You can see the pics, they make the marks on this knife seem a lot worse than they are but I wanted no one to complain that the knife was not perfect. If you cannot accept that this is a hard working capable knife and no William Henry, please do not express an interest.

Trades. I am especially interested in torches, Maxpedition gear, other knives, Molle pouches and anything that takes my fancy really. Feel free to PM me with offers. Worst I can say is no thanks.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Thats a very nice looking folder

What kind of trade value are we talking here?

Probably way out my league but gives some kind of ball park area for trades

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
No worries, I have this knife for sale at £155 on a different forum as an idea of a ballpark figure of trade value. Sorry I did not put a trade value in the first post. I was concerned it might be interpreted as a hint I was asking for money.

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Just a thought, if anyone has a good nick Iphone 3g thats been unlocked so it can take an O2 sim PAYG card, I would be VERY interested. Equally a HTC or Nokia phone of a similar or better spec. I am after something that has a touch screen, can do the internets and goggle latitude!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE