Oxfordshire Bushcrafter's advice needed

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Hello all, I've been given leave for this coming weekend. I'm based in Northampton and want to go across the Oxfordshire border to hit the woods with a mate. Can anyone recommend a good forest to get lost in? I don't want to spend hours driving so it would preferably be near the Northamptonshire/Warwickshire border...

I'll be buying an OS map of the top of Oxfordshire later in the week but from past experience what looks good on a map isn't always what you expect when you get there. If anyone has any advice on where to go from personal experience I'd really appreciate it! Especially if someone has a corner of land tucked away somewhere!!! As I said the less time I spend in the car and walking about looking for a decent location the better. I realised it's been a year since I last headed down that way and want to go back!

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Cheers, Chad

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
There's another meet this weekend? I've gotta look a bit more thoroughly on here! I couldn't make the one a few weeks back and didn't think there would be another so soon! I put my name down for the Friday night and ended up working late, thought my name might be mud due to the cancellation and lack of notice. I'd still prefer to get down to Oxfordshire as I've been everywhere else this year, but Rough Close is close by and I won't have to worry about being chased out in the middle of the night...I'll definately keep that in mind for the weekend. Cheers Andy!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Alright Mesquite, I was hoping to stay out Saturday night. Bimble on Saturday and Sunday morning...

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
There's another meet this weekend? I've gotta look a bit more thoroughly on here!

:lmao: It'll have to be thorough - 'taint on this forum :lmao: . You're welcome to join us though :cool:

..I couldn't make the one a few weeks back and didn't think there would be another so soon! I put my name down for the Friday night and ended up working late, thought my name might be mud due to the cancellation and lack of notice.

Nah - at the end of the day it's only a Meet. If real life gets in the way it needs to take preceedance .

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There's another meet this weekend? I've gotta look a bit more thoroughly on here!

You won't find any mention of it on here Saquatch. It was arranged on another forum but as usual is open to all. Just PM Decorum to get final details as there's issues about numbers using RC this weekend :)

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
You won't find any mention of it on here Saquatch. It was arranged on another forum but as usual is open to all. Just PM Decorum to get final details as there's issues about numbers using RC this weekend :)

opps, sorry, forgot to mention that, thanks Steve. :)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Thanks guys, I did start to wonder when I checked the midlands meets and didn't come up with anything! I'll let my mate know about it and see what he thinks... I'll let you know what our plans are later in the week. Cheers!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Just curious if anyone has been to Wychwood Forest? Looks big on wikimapia and has an interesting history...not being far from nice breweries is a bonus too! Is there nobody from Oxfordshire on BCUK?!

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Just curious if anyone has been to Wychwood Forest? Looks big on wikimapia and has an interesting history...not being far from nice breweries is a bonus too! Is there nobody from Oxfordshire on BCUK?!

Quite a few of us in Oxfordshire Sasquatch just search for the Oxfordshire meet up threads to see.
Personnally I tend to head out to meets at Rough Close (Coventry), Reading or Bucks. when it was still running.

I've never been in Wychwood Forest although it's not far from me. It's a deer park and is part of the Cornbury Park estate so you will need to talk to someone there if you want to go legally. There are bushcraft courses run there too apparently.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Thanks for that Bootstrap Bob... I'm still not sure what I'm up to yet. My mate is desperate to get to Oxfordshire and I can't say I blame him as I like it too. I'd be more than happy to go to Rough Close again but as my mate isn't a bcuk member he seems a bit funny about going when I suggest it to him.

I'll try to get in touch with someone at Cornbury Park estate but chances are I've left it a bit too long. I doubt they would be willing to give two random heroes access to their woods on the grounds of an email or phone call anyway. Any ideas of locations where we'd be left in peace for a crafty night out would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers fella!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Thanks for that Bootstrap Bob... I'm still not sure what I'm up to yet. My mate is desperate to get to Oxfordshire and I can't say I blame him as I like it too. I'd be more than happy to go to Rough Close again but as my mate isn't a bcuk member he seems a bit funny about going when I suggest it to him.

I'll try to get in touch with someone at Cornbury Park estate but chances are I've left it a bit too long. I doubt they would be willing to give two random heroes access to their woods on the grounds of an email or phone call anyway. Any ideas of locations where we'd be left in peace for a crafty night out would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers fella!

don't worry about your mate coming, he'll be more than welcome.:D Rough Close isn't affiliated with bcuk, it's a scout site as you know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE