Oxford Palaeotechnology Society

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Palaeocory

Forager
Hi everyone,

We run a society for making and discussing Palaeolithic technologies in Oxford, with a view to creating experimental studies and publishing findings in the future. Although we are affiliated with the university, we welcome non-Oxford students and non-students alike. If you want to join us, please email me at oxpalaeo@gmail.com (or send me a PM) and I can put you on our mailing list. Membership for the academic year is £5, and drop-in is a nominal £2. We have people of all skill levels, and some interesting sessions in the works:

Week 1: Autumn Foraging Walk in Burgess Field, Port Meadow (17 October, 13:00-15:00)
Week 2: AGM Pub Meet and Elections (24 October, 19:00-21:00)

Week 3: Making ‘Neanderthal Glue’ (pine pitch glue) (31 October, 13:00-15:00)
Week 4: Willow Basket Making in Burgess Field, Port Meadow (TBA)
Week 5: Harcourt Arboretum Trip (TBA)
Week 6: Flint Knapping Session (TBA)
Week 7: TBA
Week 8: End of Term Campout and BBQ (TBA)

Also, recently members were involved with the Ashmolean museum in making a series of short films for young students about stone age technology, including on flintknapping, firestarting, cordage, trapping, art, etc. https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/living-stone-age (see me make some nettle cordage!). Check out the videos and 'meet' some of the regular members/organizers...

You can also join our Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Oxfordpalaeotechnologysociety/

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Oh bugger! Just my luck that I've only just moved from Bicester to Germany and then this happens. I am gutted I'm going to miss this.

Good luck with the group, I hope you have loads of success and vey jealous. 👍👏

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hi everyone,

We run a society for making and discussing Palaeolithic technologies in Oxford, with a view to creating experimental studies and publishing findings in the future. Although we are affiliated with the university, we welcome non-Oxford students and non-students alike. If you want to join us, please email me at oxpalaeo@gmail.com (or send me a PM) and I can put you on our mailing list. Membership for the academic year is £5, and drop-in is a nominal £2. We have people of all skill levels, and some interesting sessions in the works:

Week 1: Autumn Foraging Walk in Burgess Field, Port Meadow (17 October, 13:00-15:00)
Week 2: AGM Pub Meet and Elections (24 October, 19:00-21:00)

Week 3: Making ‘Neanderthal Glue’ (pine pitch glue) (31 October, 13:00-15:00)
Week 4: Willow Basket Making in Burgess Field, Port Meadow (TBA)
Week 5: Harcourt Arboretum Trip (TBA)
Week 6: Flint Knapping Session (TBA)
Week 7: TBA
Week 8: End of Term Campout and BBQ (TBA)

Also, recently members were involved with the Ashmolean museum in making a series of short films for young students about stone age technology, including on flintknapping, firestarting, cordage, trapping, art, etc. https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/living-stone-age (see me make some nettle cordage!). Check out the videos and 'meet' some of the regular members/organizers...

You can also join our Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Oxfordpalaeotechnologysociety/

If I lived nearer, I'd be all over that opportunity. Never seen anything cheaper, which must be run by some impressively educated types.

Palaeocory

Forager
Thanks Dave! You're welcome to join us if you're ever near for some reason.

The truth is we just like mucking about. Some of us know lots, some of us know little - but the best thing is the discussion that comes out of it and getting to meet people. The pine pitch session was actually moved to tomorrow so I'm looking forward to that. The pitch glue I've made before was with wax and charcoal, but tomorrow will be with rabbit droppings and beef dripping, so I'm interested to see how it's going to differ. And a member is bringing things to haft, and another is bringing some birch bark to see if we can make birch tar... and one member studies microscopic residues of gums and pitches from south African stone age tools, so will be able to teach us a lot!

But our regular fire starting people won't be with us, so we might end up not getting anywhere if we can't start a fire in the damp!! Hence the usefulness of bushcraft skills to our group...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE