Overnighter [Video]

Sheldon

Jan 2, 2012
Aboyne, Scotland!
Hey guys,

This is my first thread on the Bushcraft forums, so the other night a friend and I decided to go for a simple over nighter in the woods near us. We filmed it and put a video together so enjoy. It wasn't that cold, which is surprising for january in scotland. This time last year we still had about a foot of snow!

[video=youtube;lgwIul56-so]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgwIul56-so[/video]

Heres a few pictures from the trip aswell. (I have linked them as they are rather large!)

http://i.imgur.com/xfMpl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eksxG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/d5TO4.jpg

So yeah it wasn't a bad start to the year. :D

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Great Video boys! Looks like you had a great time and lucky anuf to have some nice woodland at hand! keep the vids going! :0

ATB

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well done lads, I really enjoyed that

You did go back and tidy up the fire though didn't you, leave no trace and all that.

Looking forward to seeing some more of your stuff, keep 'em coming

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Thanks for the video.......................I have to mention the fire though ( there's always one to spoilt it :)) firstly you made it way too close to your tarp & sleeping bags, I couldn't have slept with an open fire so close to my flammable gear & even the risk of it getting damaged by sparks & fying embers.would be too much for me........secondly, building a fire directly onto pine needles is not a good idea. I don't know the nature of the soil but if it's peat then you can start an underground fire (without knowing) which could smoulder for years & come up further away & start a forest fire. .............

Lesson over :(, thanks again for sharing

Last edited:

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Great vid. Thanks for that. Can I suggest that you need to take more care of your fire.
I personally (even in winter) clear the ground where the fire is going better and also use some water on the fire at the end to make sure it was out then spread the ashes thus not leaving a trace.
Still a good vid and looking forward to seeing more thank you.
Alan

Sheldon

Jan 2, 2012
Aboyne, Scotland!
I understand where you guys are coming from and will definately remember this in future, Also Salan we did douse the fire with water and spread the ashes, aswell as fill in the hole that was left afterwards.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
I understand where you guys are coming from and will definately remember this in future, Also Salan we did douse the fire with water and spread the ashes, aswell as fill in the hole that was left afterwards.
yep by the time I had typed and pressed the send your reply was up. but the vids are good thanks for them I have subscribed on youtube to you.
alan

Sheldon

Jan 2, 2012
Aboyne, Scotland!
Great stuff Rory, it's refreshing to see your enthusiasm, can't wait for the next one.

What camera are you using btw, it's a nice clear image

I use a Nikon D3100 DSLR, I originally bought it as I'm into photography but it's great for video aswell. Also recieved a new microphone as the onboard one isn't great.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a Nikon D3100 DSLR, I originally bought it as I'm into photography but it's great for video aswell. Also recieved a new microphone as the onboard one isn't great.

Ah that'll be it then, the wife brings the same one home sometimes if I ask to borrow it. I don't tend to take a full SLR on trips as I'm bothered about wrecking it, especially in the canoe :)

Sheldon

Jan 2, 2012
Aboyne, Scotland!
Ah that'll be it then, the wife brings the same one home sometimes if I ask to borrow it. I don't tend to take a full SLR on trips as I'm bothered about wrecking it, especially in the canoe :)

Yeah I was worried to about it getting damaged or wet, but then again I havn't had any trouble with it so far. (apart from a lost lens cap. oops!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE