Overnighter in the Sulzschneider Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I spent yesterday and last night in the Sulzschneider forest with a friend of mine, I thought I would share some photos :)
I am the one in the baseball hat

P1020642.jpg

P1020646.jpg

P1020647.jpg

P1020648.jpg

P1020652.jpg

P1020654.jpg

P1020655.jpg

P1020657.jpg

P1020664.jpg

P1000635.jpg

P1000639.jpg

P1000640.jpg

P1020667.jpg

P1020641.jpg

Last edited:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Great pics mate, stunning location

What's the water filter, how do you rate it?

Hi Mate

The water filter is an msr mini water works, I rate this very high . http://cascadedesigns.com/en/msr/wa...nd-hydration/miniworks-ex-microfilter/product
I have had several filters over the years and I just keep coming back to this one.

They are easy to take apart and clean if it gets clogged up in the field and they filter out everything except viruses as with most filters .
Last year I done a 8 day hike in the North of poland I left my msr filter at home and brought a lifesaver bottle with me and my mate had his msr filter by the end of the first day both filters were getting clogged up as there was so much algae in the water .
My mate was able to strip his msr filter and clean it no problem but it was very difficult for me to strip the life saver bottle with out the risk of cross contamination also the flow rate on the msr was better . I had to wait till I got back home before I could sort out the lifesaver bottle in the proper way.

When I got back from this trip I switched straight back to using my msr filter and have not even thought about changing it since

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
As said fantastic pics, thanks for sharing.

Looks absolutely stunning, out of curiosity i searched for Sulzschneider Forest to see how big the woods are, is the one near Marktoberdorf?

I really envy your scenery, but i can't say as i envy your mate under his tarp, poor bloke must have been bitten to hell the following morning.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
As said fantastic pics, thanks for sharing.

Looks absolutely stunning, out of curiosity i searched for Sulzschneider Forest to see how big the woods are, is the one near Marktoberdorf?

I really envy your scenery, but i can't say as i envy your mate under his tarp, poor bloke must have been bitten to hell the following morning.

Yep it is the forest near Marktoberdorf, it not massive but enough to get away and be alone, there was no problem with being bitten. It was warm during the day but below freezing at night. In the morning the tarps were frozen solid . Its only been a couple of weeks since the snow melted here :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Mate

The water filter is an msr mini water works, I rate this very high . http://cascadedesigns.com/en/msr/wa...nd-hydration/miniworks-ex-microfilter/product
I have had several filters over the years and I just keep coming back to this one.

They are easy to take apart and clean if it gets clogged up in the field and they filter out everything except viruses as with most filters .
Last year I done a 8 day hike in the North of poland I left my msr filter at home and brought a lifesaver bottle with me and my mate had his msr filter by the end of the first day both filters were getting clogged up as there was so much algae in the water .
My mate was able to strip his msr filter and clean it no problem but it was very difficult for me to strip the life saver bottle with out the risk of cross contamination also the flow rate on the msr was better . I had to wait till I got back home before I could sort out the lifesaver bottle in the proper way.

When I got back from this trip I switched straight back to using my msr filter and have not even thought about changing it since

Cool, thanks mate

I'm just about to treat myself to a new filter, I'm using the Drinksafe gravity bag system at the moment but the flow rate is dire, I was looking at the Katadyn Mini or the MSR Sweetwater, weight and bulk is a biggy for me

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Cool, thanks mate

I'm just about to treat myself to a new filter, I'm using the Drinksafe gravity bag system at the moment but the flow rate is dire, I was looking at the Katadyn Mini or the MSR Sweetwater, weight and bulk is a biggy for me

I dont know about those two filters as I have not used them but I did used to have a katadyn hiker it worked well but the filter had a card/paper pre filter type thing around it when you took it apart , It was easy to damage this when cleaning so for multi day hikes when your filter is important for regular hydration I did not rate it. But for one day hikes when it was unlikly you would need to strip it down and clean in the field it was fine and well priced

Last edited:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Great pics, thanks for posting. How cold did it get during the night?

It was not to cold but if I had to guess then I would say maybe -2 or -3 so no biggy, I think in a few more weeks we will see the temps start to rise quite fast here as we move into spring and towards summer .
I am off on an 8-9 day hike at the end of this week along the former east german/czech border . It should me much warmer there than down here by the Alps. I am quite looking forward to the warmer evenings of this trip as I have had enough of the cold until next winter :)

Last edited:

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Great pics, looks like a lot of fun.
What is the under quilt you are using?
Looking to get a hammock soon and will be after an under quilt for colder times.
Thanks.
David

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Great pics, looks like a lot of fun.
What is the under quilt you are using?
Looking to get a hammock soon and will be after an under quilt for colder times.
Thanks.
David

Hi David

It was fun thanks for your comments :)

The underquilt is from Mat at ukhamocks.http://www.ukhammocks.co.uk/
This was the first time I used it and I was very impressed by it, it is well made and robust . Mat is also a good bloke to deal with and will pretty much make you a underquilt to your own requirements

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Thanks for that salad, have been looking at those.
will try a foam mat and wool blanket to start off and see how i get on. Can hammock in the woods next to the house to start off so if i get CBT can nip off home:).
Thanks again.
David.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE