Overnight Advice

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Last weekend i put a kit list together for me and my young lad, this was a test really to see if i was able to carry the gear as my lad wont be able to carry much.

All went well and i was planning to go to the same spot again (north wales) this upcoming weekend and take him for his first "wild" camp.

Turns out the bloody trains arn't running on sunday and we've not much chance of getting back :(

So here lies my problem, he's been looking forward to the trip for ages, keeps making sure i've got all my gear ready (always asking me if i have my knife ready to keep the wild cats away :eek:)
So the last thing i want to do is postpone or as he would see it cancel :sadwavey:

What im thinking is change the venue to somewhere along the lines of the Peak District or Yorkshire dales. A few problems though
1. never camped in these area's before so im not sure where is good
2. needs to be within walking distance fro mthe trainstation for the young-un

So can anyone reccommend somewhere that is a reasonable walk ( 5 mile'ish) from a train station where we can overnight thats pretty secluded for his first wildcamp?

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
The West Highland Way in Scotland starts only 5 mins from Milngavie train station which is accessible from Glasgow:-

At the southern end of the route on the outskirts of Glasgow, it is served by local bus and train services from Glasgow, the former from Buchannan Street Bus Station and the latter from Queen Street Low Level Station, a few minutes walk separating the two locations.
The train service is possibly the more convenient option for access to the West Highland Way, having a more frequent service, twice an hour for most of the day, and trains terminate in Milngavie so you cannot go beyond the required stop. The end of the Way, in the Douglas Street pedestrian shopping precinct, is a few minutes walk from the Train Station.

Scotland’s first official long distance route links Milngavie to Fort William – a distance of 154km (96 miles) - from the northern outskirts of Glasgow, to the foot of Ben Nevis at Fort William.

The Route passes through Mugdock Country Park, follows the shores of Loch Lomond, passing Ben Lomond, through Glen Falloch and Strathfillan, crossing Rannoch Moor, past Buachaille Etive Mor to the head of Glencoe, climbing the Devil’s Staircase, descending to sea level to cross the River Leven at the head of Loch Leven before entering Lairigmor and Glen Nevis.

The terrain ranges from lowland moors, dense woodland and rolling hills, to high mountainous regions in the Scottish Highlands. These environments provide habitats for a diverse range of wildlife species, both flora and fauna.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
The West Highland Way in Scotland starts only 5 mins from Milngavie train station which is accessible from Glasgow:-

At the southern end of the route on the outskirts of Glasgow, it is served by local bus and train services from Glasgow, the former from Buchannan Street Bus Station and the latter from Queen Street Low Level Station, a few minutes walk separating the two locations.
The train service is possibly the more convenient option for access to the West Highland Way, having a more frequent service, twice an hour for most of the day, and trains terminate in Milngavie so you cannot go beyond the required stop. The end of the Way, in the Douglas Street pedestrian shopping precinct, is a few minutes walk from the Train Station.

Scotland’s first official long distance route links Milngavie to Fort William – a distance of 154km (96 miles) - from the northern outskirts of Glasgow, to the foot of Ben Nevis at Fort William.

The Route passes through Mugdock Country Park, follows the shores of Loch Lomond, passing Ben Lomond, through Glen Falloch and Strathfillan, crossing Rannoch Moor, past Buachaille Etive Mor to the head of Glencoe, climbing the Devil’s Staircase, descending to sea level to cross the River Leven at the head of Loch Leven before entering Lairigmor and Glen Nevis.

The terrain ranges from lowland moors, dense woodland and rolling hills, to high mountainous regions in the Scottish Highlands. These environments provide habitats for a diverse range of wildlife species, both flora and fauna.

Maybe in the school holidays (and more experience) we'd venture upto Scotland, but at the moment for just an overnighter i wanted to keep it closer to home, hence the north wales / Peak district / Yorkshire district.

Thanks anyway.

Feb 6, 2011
none
I know its probably too far, but you are more than welcome to come to my place ,Dartmoor, Newton Abbot would be your nearest train station , but i would be more than happy to pick you up from there , then you woul have about a 1 and half walk to my woods/land , be as wild as you like . See meetings and gatherings thread south west Dartmoor camp at Ivans ,photos etc in various places , only a thought . atb Ivan.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
try the happy campers site mate they have loads of basic campsites on there and some allow fires

Im googling it now ;)

I know its probably too far, but you are more than welcome to come to my place ,Dartmoor, Newton Abbot would be your nearest train station , but i would be more than happy to pick you up from there , then you woul have about a 1 and half walk to my woods/land , be as wild as you like . See meetings and gatherings thread south west Dartmoor camp at Ivans ,photos etc in various places , only a thought . atb Ivan.

Aye it is a little far for what i've planned, but i'd love to take you up on your offer mid summer, come for a week or so?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE