our outing to Stanton moor at matlock

Andie

Jul 26, 2011
Alfreton,DerbyShire
hi all still new to the forum so if this is in the wrong place I'm sorry and please move, me and the mate went up Stanton more in the Derbyshire dales for a weeks bush craft had a Right laugh and heres are a few pics of us cooking and the camp layout abit basic but did the job this time round lol

this is us cooking
img0475ma.jpg

img0467dm.jpg

img0470bt.jpg

my mate and the hammocks
img0468g.jpg

img0469br.jpg

and my make shift bandage,who thought collecting pine resin and sticks would lead to this lol
img0472ck.jpg

img0471dr.jpg

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Looks good mate! how did the chicken turn out? Why is it when ever you leave your first aid pack at home you chop a finger off?lol Iv done it so many times and had to bodge it! I live close to Matlock and have always thought about camping there, as iv seen a lot of woodland running beside the dewent river. Would you recommend it at all for a one night stop?

cowboy

Andie

Jul 26, 2011
Alfreton,DerbyShire
mate seriously get yourself up there i have been going to the summer solstice there for 15 years thats why i love the place so much and i could spend weeks at a time up there next time where up there you are welcome to come with us the more the merrier ow and as for the hand lets just say i slipped down the bark lol

StantonMoorOldBoys

Jun 13, 2015
Derbyshire
Hi buddy,
Glad you had a great time on SM and I hope you have many more. However, I do have a bone to pick i.e. your use of live wood for both your spit and fuel. Yes, live birch will eventually burn but there is plenty of windfall and deadwood around if only you are prepared to look for it (recently, a lot of trees have been cleared by the landowner and are left to the side of some paths, easy pickings). Many of our favourite spots on SM have lost all seclusion and privacy due to people cutting down the nearest tree they find because they can't be arsed to get out there and look.
With regards to going up for the Solstice celebrations; we have been harassed on numerous occasions by both the police and Adrian Thornhill in person (usually at Summer Solstice) who's main complaints are noise, rubbish, burning of live wood, fire pits directly onto the ground and of course, trespass. As a consequence, we now hide ourselves away from prying eyes as much as we can. We always have a stone base to our fire pit (that is our fire pit in your picture that we built years ago and move regularly), we very rarely cut live wood, keep our site tidy and try to blend in. I'm sure you will agree, as will most others here, that these should be the basic tenets of any wild camp - especially when you are on Private Property.
Please do not take offense at my post, I do not mean to preach, scold or lay claim to anything. As fellow trespassers, we just ask that you treat the local flora and fauna, the whole moor in general, and others that use it after you with the respect that any "bush-crafter/wild camper" should.

My_Solstice_Hammock.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE