OS Maps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 11, 2006
Lancashire
I would like to buy an OS map of my area, Barrowford (near Pendle Hill) for when I go walking. I am a little confused at the different types available and what scale is best. Can anyone give me some advice please?

IamSam

May 6, 2006
Lancaster
If you go to the link below you can have jour own map printed. For walking you should use the 1:25,000 scale as the level of detail is much better. Hope this is of some use to you.

HTML:
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/mapshop/index.html

Sam

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
"Standard practice" is to use Ordnance Survey Explorer 1:25,000

You can get laminated waterproof ones but I prefer a map case.

ozymandias

Aug 18, 2006
cheltenham
1:50k is a bit too small scale for most walkers, but good for check nav, and for a wider view of where you are- taking a resection to a distant churchtower etc. 1:25k has fieldboundaries marked and is generally much more useful...in my opinion worth spending a bit extra on the laminated version. will last you longer in the end, as not only do paper maps get wet, they can rip along folds.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
By the time the well used map is fit for tinder, it is probably out of date anyway, so a good opportunity to buy a new one. I don't bother with mapcases or 'proofed maps. If it's raining i lean over to protect it, and I have OS maps that go back to my scouting days!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got a stash of old ones too, but I do like the new Walkers maps. The waterproofing is actually good but the physical size of the map is better than the old OS. I know they don't cover as wide an area, but the area that they do cover is generally ample for the day(s) out. I've been buying them as prezzies for HWMBLT for several years now. There wasn't much choice at the start, but he range is growing rapidly :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
IamSam said:
If you go to the link below you can have jour own map printed. For walking you should use the 1:25,000 scale as the level of detail is much better. Hope this is of some use to you.

HTML:
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/mapshop/index.html

Sam

Firstly i would suggest you stay well away from these site centered maps for walking. They are not printed by OS. They are printed on a standard 120 GSM paper using standard inkjet inks. The scale is not guaranteed and many of the individual lines and thinks are printed to large/thick. They are not weather proof or UV stable and are designed to be hung on a wall and not used.

1:25000 mapping is not really needed for navigation in this country. 1:50000 is far more practical, giving excellent information for a large area of land.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Spacemonkey said:
You can see my 'out of date point' though? I have OS maps from not too long ago that show areas of wilderness that now contain housing estates....

"It were all fields around here when I were a lad, ya' know..."

Oh definitely. :approve: But isn't it scary how your childhood disappears under suburban sprawl :( Lochans I walked and hunted round with my Dad, that were rich in waterfowl and plants are now under factories. :(
I'm an archaeologist, old maps are fascinating. :cool: They are wonderful social commentaries too and the details that were considered important enough to be measured and drawn tell us so much more than was ever intended.
Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ach you're just a young thing yet, :rolleyes: I've got 14 years on you of watching the world disappear under tarmac, housing and *industrial estates* :D
I have to say though that as our major industrial base is dismantled the whole thing *seems* to be slowing down recently. Maybe a hopeful sign for the future?
Cheers,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE