Orvis UK 'Foreign Legion' boots. Can anyone recommend them? How is sizing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
I've been looking at these boots:

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/produc...sor-_-google-_-2008-_-9652&CAWELAID=797884692

They look quite interesting but I'd like to know whether anyon ehas had/is currently using a pair.

I have so many pairs of footwear which are all a very good fit, yet are labelled with different sizes It's a real pain sometimes knowing what the correct sizing is.

I'd be interested to know if they wear 'small' or whether they are a generous fit?

I'd need to order either a nine or a nine and a half.

Thanks in advance for any guidance and thanks for looking.

Best Wishes
David

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i have the originals and they aren't 'palladiums' mine are 'wissart' made in france. french jungle boots is all i know them as, mine are good all round sizing, i'm an 11 and a half to 12 and mine are 12 and they are a perfect and very comfortable. though very 'old hat' in design, mine have rope insoles inside the rubber outsole. but i love mine. good general fit, i wear mine with a thick-ish cotton sports sock. no problems.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Might be worth taking a drive over to the Orvis shop in Harrogate and trying a pair on. I'd ring them first to make sure they stock them, failing that Orvis have a very good return policy so ordering off the web and returning is no problem.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hi, late to this thread but if they are imported from France or the main sizing is given in euro fittings IMO they are likely to be a slightly narrower fit but being canvas they will stretch. I had two pairs in the 80s and wore them out...loved them. However, having lived in France for a good few years I'm pretty sure that you can still pick up a pair of pataugas for about £20 http://www.surplus-lemarsouin.com/chaussure-brousse-pataugas-p-103.html these are the high tops, but might be worth doing a bit more of a hunt.

Cheers

Sack

garethw

Settler
hi there
I've just got a new pair of the Palladium's shown in the initial link, from DM Products in Paris. I've had several pairs of these over the years, but my last ones, after 9 years were holed and falling to bits. The new ones were 49€ and are excellent summer outdoor boots.
Re sizing as "Large Sack" has said these are originally French made (probably China now) boots so sizings are in continental measures. I take an 11 in the UK, so I ordered 46 here and it's spot on.
Note: Often I see 11 shown as 45 in conversion charts, but I've never managed to find 45's that fit, yet 11 does fine in the UK. Size 46 has always fitted me here.
I searched around the net for cheaper versions than the Palladium, but all the online outlets I found were out of stock of 46 boots. So for a bit more money (about the same as Orvis actually) I opted for the Palladiums.

cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE