optimum one person natural shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's raining today; real rain for the first time in several weeks, and suddenly the world is no longer just damp, but dripping wet again.

I hope it's dry for your course Sam :)

Tamoko, thank you for the photos :) very good to see, but it does look dry, doesn't it ? but those sheets of bark really do show why wooden slates were (and are) used to such good effect.

cheers,
Toddy

Hi Sam, me again. The outing you are doing sounds to me to be every bit as demanding as the journeyman was, perhaps more. Once you've done this I reckon the JM would be straightforward enough. You'd breeze it.

Cheers mate.
I have been told its more demanding than the Journeyman. As its all solo and all on my head.
does mean I can do it exactly how I want to without having to discuss it with others.
Pros and cons there im sure

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
If you're staying for a month then space becomes important. When we were kids in New Zealand we found that circular huts were easier and quicker to build and stronger. I would go for a single pole circular shape, start off with a segment of the circle to shelter you from the prevailing wind and you can then enlarge it easily when you have the time and inclination. A decent sapling makes a good central pole with no need for cutting down large timber.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
huh, looking at the "bender"/tinkers tent on youtube and piccies online, it seems like it doesn't have to be round per se, it could be elongated into an oval/elipse, have a lower roof, and a low-point door to minimise heat loss. The only real drawback I can see is it needs soft ground to work. hmmm, I wonder if bamboo could be made to work, you'd have to plit it to bend without breaking, but...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We've built them on shingle, on sand, on heavy clay, on woodland among tree roots, and on red ash of an old bing, and they all worked.
Canes only work if they're long and still relatively fresh. You can soak them a bit, but they're inclined to splinter we found.
If canes are all you have, I found that making triangular panel pieces and lashing those together worked. If you cross brace them across all sides into the middle it gives load of tie on points for bunches of greenery, etc.,

M

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Yeah Toddy, there's not much harvestable 'round here, just "Canas"(=s**te bamboo) or diddy bushes. And the ground's rock-like in the summer :(
Of course, if you can't get the ends into the ground (like here in the summer/dry weather) you can anchor them with rocks.
Split bamboo (well, canes, not bamboo) bends quite well, but I don't think I'd want just that as structure, now I think about it!
Hmmm, trianglular panels... sounds like a tipi(teepee?) to me :D
By cross-brace in the middle do you mean sort-of like the letter A?

Matt77

Dec 6, 2014
Scotland
Sorry for the necro post !

Ive lived in benders for long periods of time during all types of weather. Benders varying from the ultimate long term bender ( coppiced willow poked into the ground in a circular pattern, then bent over and woven together to form an upside down basket, then covered in woolen blankets, then covered in a truck tarpaulin, and a floor made of pallets) to the basic ( what ever green wood was available poked into the ground in a circular fashion, then woven into an upside down basket, then horizontaly woven with ferns and small branches, then starting from the bottom - woven with ferns bunches)

For long term camps they are great, possibly the best. You do get a nice space that does regulate tempature, and on a smaller scale, they can be made very sturdily - very easily. However, if there is no bendable green wood available on site, the design swiftly becomes impracatable.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
With the withies or rods you could make a coracle when dismantling the bender. In fact the "basket" is the foundation of civilisation. We once made a coracle with recovered hazel rods from a bender that was used as a sweat lodge.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In general hazel and willow don't really do re-use though. They become brittle, they crack and split. Did you just keep the original bender curve as it was ?

M

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
In general hazel and willow don't really do re-use though. They become brittle, they crack and split. Did you just keep the original bender curve as it was ?

M
You are right, a lot of the sticks were brittle but enough remained to make the frame and some of the bends were incorporated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE