opinel folding saw question

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Hi guys

i'm quite interested in getting a small folding pocket saw that i can resharpen- does anyone know if you can resharpen the teeth on the small opinel saw? Or know of another that would do the job?

many thanks

joab

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Unfortuantely wood saws are not desinged to be sharpened like knvies. Doing so will indeed make the teeth sharper but will inevitabley shrink the width of the cutting egde and make the blade jam. (trust me, I've tried.)

The Opinel will be no different to any other folding saw, I'm affraid. As far as I'm aware the only saws that can be touched up are those bid two man jobs.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Sadly my experience with both Opinel folding saws was not good, the lock on the larger model was a laughable inconvenience and both blades were prone to bending.

I'd say get a Laplander or a Silky, either will outlast a box-full of Opies!

Ogri the trog

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Cheap disposable ones aren't, but lots of the more expensive ones and nearly all older saws can be resharpened, as evidenced by all this kit :)
http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Saw_Sharpening_Files.html

Unfortuantely wood saws are not desinged to be sharpened like knvies. Doing so will indeed make the teeth sharper but will inevitabley shrink the width of the cutting egde and make the blade jam. (trust me, I've tried.)

The Opinel will be no different to any other folding saw, I'm affraid. As far as I'm aware the only saws that can be touched up are those bid two man jobs.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Opinel saws a pretty bulky pocketwise and the teeth I'd say weren't designed to be resharpened with any degree of sucess.

I wouldn't bother worrying about sharpening the opinel - its a nice enough blade but the chances of it bending/breaking befor you need to sharpen it are pretty high

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I have a large Opinel Saw, and it's strength is nice chunky beech handle. The blade is also OK. It has been used a lot, and still going strong same as the day I got it. I think the blade is made to be replaced when it has done it's life.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Thanks guys, I have a couple of two man saws which I can sharpen which is what got me thinking. I usually carry an opinel and the saws look like they'll take a sharpen...I'll check out a few of the recommendations (the bahco looks interesting) and will.let you know how I get on

Cheers, joab

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE