Open Fire Cooking: Bone-In Chicken Noodle Soup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Saturday I decided go out back to the fire pit and put on a pot of bone-in chicken noodle soup.

I used some fat wood shavings, a few small fatwood sticks, some dry twigs from downed trees, and a Swedish fire steel to start the fire.

TinderKindlingandFirewood.jpg

GatheringKindling.jpg

I batoned a little of the seasoned Birch I’ve been chopping on with random sharp objects.

Batoning-2.jpg

and got the fire going

StartedFire.jpg

Then I started getting the soup ready to cook while the fire developed some embers. I whittled a digging stick to dig up some wild onions.

DiggingStick.jpg

OnionsSeperated.jpg

WildOnions.jpg

Then started cutting up the chicken.

CuttingupChicken-2.jpg

BreastandBack.jpg

Cut up the vegetables..

CuttingUpOnions.jpg

CuttinguptheCarrots.jpg

CutupVeggies.jpg

Put it all in a stock pot with a bale handle and added a few spices and put it on to cook.

Addingalittlespice.jpg

Cooking.jpg

After it boiled until the meat was good and done and the carrots were tender I added in some wide egg noodles.

Addingthenoodles.jpg

And as the fire burned down I put the pot on the lower notch on the pot hanger and let it simmer for a bit

Onlowernotch.jpg

It was just starting to get dark when it got done.

GettinDark.jpg

So I took it inside and served it. Man it sure was good. :hugegrin:

SoupsOn.jpg

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Nice post as usual Mistwalker. That food looks great. Did you post about roasting the chicken on the fire a while back ? It looked good if it was you.:cool:

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Another great post. I hope that this and your previous posts go into some kind of compendium archive.

And it's true what everyone else says; I've just finished my tea and I'm hungry again already.

Damn I'm hungry now - top job!

Think I've seen some (what I believe to be anywho) wild onions round near work - think I'll go grab some :)

Thank You! Glad you liked it.

They're easy to spot, they look just like smaller versions of the green onions sold at the grocer.

Nice post as usual Mistwalker. That food looks great. Did you post about roasting the chicken on the fire a while back ? It looked good if it was you.:cool:

Thank you. Yes that was one of my first posts here, I love flame roasted fowl, glad you liked it.

Another great post. I hope that this and your previous posts go into some kind of compendium archive.

And it's true what everyone else says; I've just finished my tea and I'm hungry again already.

Thank you, I'm glad everyone else found it appetizing also, I thought it was delicious. After we ate I pulled out most of the bones and put it in the fridge and we ate the leftovers the next day.

Great set of pics Mistwalker :D. My kids have been pestering me for chicken soup with rice - which was great and they got it last night - but I think a little bonnie in the backgarden and some noodles would have been the better way to go :)

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it.

Well I agree about being better cooked over a fire, I think everything is. However I like it fine with rice too and that's probably better for you.

Nice post, Mistwalker. I enjoyed that.

I have to say, I chuckled out loud when after seeing you cutting all manner of things with a burly looking knife, digging with a stick and the likes, I saw the mushrooms in the Pyrex jug.
Something about seeing the glass mearuring jug with the worktop made from branches and other outdoorsy stuff really tickled me.

You've got me hungry now!
:D

Nice post, Mistwalker. I enjoyed that.

I have to say, I chuckled out loud when after seeing you cutting all manner of things with a burly looking knife, digging with a stick and the likes, I saw the mushrooms in the Pyrex jug.
Something about seeing the glass mearuring jug with the worktop made from branches and other outdoorsy stuff really tickled me.

You've got me hungry now!
:D

Thanks, lol, you're nt the only one who chuckled, I did too when I saw it on the screen. I really must get some more "earthy" bowls for this. That was done pretty much in my back yard.

Seems I'm making a habit of making people hungry...I guess that should come with the territory when one loves to cook though. Glad you enjoyed the post.

Cook that in a 12cm Zebra pan;)

Great post:)

:lmao: :lmao:

LOL

Cheeky

I was thinking more along the lines of the 10cm :rolleyes:

Great post Mistwalker, I can smell that from here. Got any crusty bread ?

Jeeeeeez guys, it's a recipe for a whole chicken not a half a partridge lol.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the post. Actually I looked for a smalller pot, I want something more along the lines of 14 or 16 cm but I'll have to order it off line as this was not only the only pot I could find in this town with a bale handle it was also the smallest I could find with a lid without having to cut the rivets out of a long pot handle.

Oh...and nope..no crusty bread, wish we had.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE