One of my crooked knives (at last!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The Pacific Northwest carvers used bone for hook/ crooked knives until pieces of ship wreck began to hit their shores about 500 yrs ago some believe. Metal off these pieces were fashioned to carve with. Other tools, like adze and skews were made with stone and obsidian. Obsidian holds a deadly edge.
With these tools they created a paradise of art. The Pacific Northwest was a garden of plenty and people flourished. Art flourished at least 5 thousand years. Some believe 10 thousand, others say 60 thousand years.

http://iweb.tntech.edu/cventura/reg.htm
This is Reg Davidson's site. A Haida carver. He is Robert Davidson's brother, the master.
Reg has some good pictures of his process.

Files are ok for hook knives. They will snap unless you differentialy temper them. That means that when your tempering to a pale straw in your oven you want to go back onto the hook to tip with a propane torch, carefully turn that metal into dark straw. It's tricky. If you make a mistake re-harden and try again.

Your local lumber mill has gang saw blades or edge saw blades and 4mm thick band saw blades. That is the steel you want for it's tensile strength. With a well tempered saw blade steel hook knife you can carve apple and keep an edge and not worry about snapping the blade. There is nothing nicer than a fruitwood spoon or bowl. With a good hook one should be able to gouge right into that wood with control and strength.

I've made hundreds of crooked knives. They are expensive but that only reflects the amount of work involved in making them. Note the longer handles, this is for tork, for useing your thumb and both hands. I left a indepth link on how a strong blade is
made in a previous post.

hooks_3_glasses.jpg

hook_knife_in_hand_600.jpg

hook_in_two_hands_600.jpg

hook_profile_and_back_600.jpg

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Cariboo, I like the way you fix the blades to the handle in the last photo. Not primitive, but it'll certainly let you get the blade right close down to the work. Lovely knives.

Eric

Eric. The blade mount was a feature taught to me rather than lashing. They never come loose, they are easier to sharpen and you get close to your work.
Bill Reid was a Haida carver who experimented a lot with hook knives and adze. He really developed the design.
To be more primitive one could use pins and peen them. that works well.

rancid badger

I thought I should let you all know that I've disabled my pee m's for the moment. this is due to overwhelming interest! I cant keep up with reply's so rather than let a huge back log build up, I decided to stop them till I catch up. I apologise if this has left anyone wondering whats going on but I'm really not used to this sort of public response to my work.
Thank you again for all the interest and very flattering comments.
R.B.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I thought I should let you all know that I've disabled my pee m's for the moment. this is due to overwhelming interest! I cant keep up with reply's so rather than let a huge back log build up, I decided to stop them till I catch up. I apologise if this has left anyone wondering whats going on but I'm really not used to this sort of public response to my work.
Thank you again for all the interest and very flattering comments.
R.B.

You're goint to have to get used to it mate. The people on here are honest. If they think something's crap, they'll either tell you, or you'll get no responses. On the other hand, if they see beautiful craftsmanship, they'll also tell you and praise your workmanship. It's a good way to see if what you're doing is right and also to guage if something is commercialy viable. Keep posting stuff.

Eric

rancid badger

Well heres a bit of a blast from the past! honestly it seems like ages since I first got dragged into all this! sorry about the pictures, I had a load of trouble trying to sort out stuff on dial up and lost a load of pictures from photo bucket by mistake:11doh:

Thanks for the interest, I'll sort out another picture or two and post them up a bit later.
kind regards
R.B.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Those above are of course RB's left handers for his own use, but he made me a very beautiful right hander. Here's some old photos of when it was new. It has since been well used and has 'character' formed by sweaty palms fondling it over time.

crookedknife1.jpg

crookedknife2.jpg

crookedknife3.jpg

crookedknife4.jpg

Eric

rancid badger

i love the shape of that handle - i reckon that must give loads more control over the blade?

Well it's a bit of mixed blessing to be absolutely honest.
The thing to remember is that the Mocotaugan or crooked knife is a genuine "multi tool" and, as with any tool of that type, there have to be compromises. When used as a draw knife or "palm up" the curved handle offers a comfortable, firm and easily controlled grip where as, if your using the knife "overhand" it can sometimes get in the way. It does particularly well when your working on a job which is clamped down or large enough not to move much, then you can use two hands and really go to town, almost ( but not quite:rolleyes: ) like an ice cream scoop!

The thing to remember is that many of these knives were actually made by the people who used them and so they made their handles to suit the individual. There are many old photo's of American and Canadian first nations people with different designs of handles.

Anyway,
Kind regards
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE