One more wanigan project

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, Made this wanigan out of 4mm ply and 3/4 by 3/4 wood to keep the weight down, but still be strong . The frame work is all butt jointed glue and screw . I have made top out of 9mm ply this is so the top can take the weight when sitting on it ( the times i seen good toolbox with broken lips from people sitting on them. ) All i got to do is put the handles on the sides.

img1435l.jpg

img1436u.jpg

img1437f.jpg

Thank you for looking
All comments welcome
Cheers Topknot.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks nice and solid Topknot

Will you finish it with varnish then ? Thinking about having a go at a smaller one myself for the canoe soon.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, The wanigan is finished with a satin varnish which i mixed in 25% white spirits. As to the handle yes Mungo i will be putting leather one on. As to making one and sending it across the pond, well i do not know ?
Cheers Topknot.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Sorry, can someone explain what's so good about a wooden box? I can appreciate the craftsmanship, but for cost/weight why not just get a plastic crate for a couple of quid?

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Sorry, can someone explain what's so good about a wooden box? I can appreciate the craftsmanship, but for cost/weight why not just get a plastic crate for a couple of quid?

Its traditional Chris. Like canvas Baker tents, there are lighter and more economically massed produced alternatives. some folk just like to use goods like their forfathers did.
Some folk use a mora in a plastic sheath cos it 'does the job' and does it well. Others have the attitude that if your going to use a tool regularly, its nice to upgrade to a tool that looks and feels much nicer and has a traditional old fashioned leather sheath. It weighs probably 3 times as much as a mora and does the same tasks, but feeds the owners soul every time he uses it.

Nice Job again Andy.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Some of us just do not like the aesthetics of plastic!
Sure - plastic does the job (and well) but it does not look , feel, smell or "mature" as nicely as wood!:cool:
To me, even ply is not as pleasing as say, woven cedar splits.....though the photoed wannigan is great in its own right!
Also wood is less polluting than plastic, can have a much smaller carbon footprint and when worn out can be "re-cycled" as firewood.;)

BTW - nice wannigan!:)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice bit of work there Topknot.

If I can suggest one little improvement to the design for the next one you build. For the lid I would put the battons on the lid so they sit inside the box rather than outside as you've done it. That way you can cut the lid so it's flush to the box.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi Mesquite,
I thought about doing it that way, but this way it gives me a lip so that the wet or rain will run over the top of the box and not seep through to the inside.
thanks for your comment
Cheers Topknot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE