One last quick review of my BRS-8 before I chuck it

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ollyboyd

Dec 2, 2013
Scotland
I know the BRS-8 has been done to death but I thought I'd give mine a wee sending off review before I decommission it.
I bought it in the Summer of 2012 because I wanted a multi-fuel stove for my cycle tour to France but I couldn't justify the price of a Primus/MSR/Optimus and most of the reviews were pretty positive at the time. It's spent a month in France, weekend in Scotland and 2 months in E. Europe with daily use. Although I've never had total failure (until now), it's taught me which parts of a liquid fuel stove are most likely to fail so I (and maybe others) can know what to look out for in new stoves.
I've only ever run this on unleaded.

1st problem was the threads were poorly cut into the plastic of the pump so it has always been really difficult to screw the pump on the bottle without crossing the threads, even being really careful and twisting the pump the 'wrong' way until I hear the bottle's threads drop in and then gently tightening it. If someone else uses the bottle who doesn't know this (like a burly petrol station worker in E.Europe) they will just go ahead and tighten the bottle by brute force :s.

2) Some of the o-rings are not petrol-proof and will literally dissolve away. I found this to my peril in N. Scotland when I went to use the stove after it had been in storage and fuel begun flowing out of the pump mechanism (in the part which has the adjustment knob). When I got home I replaced the seals with new mini o-rings.

3) The connection between the braided fuel hose and the crimped metal ends will fail. It just isn't engineered to withstand daily use (yea it cost £30 I'm not complaining) i got round this by using lots of shrink wrap but still a little fuel will escape.
IMG_20140122_231108.jpg

IMG_20140122_231123.jpg

4) the jet of my stove isn't centred and I can't fix it, so the flame always points to one side of the pan annoying but not a failure.
IMG_20140122_231254.jpg

5) I've just pulled it out the cupboard and found that the plastic of the threading is chemically breaking down to black powder and I can crumble the plastic thread away with my nails.
IMG_20140122_230843.jpg

RIP BRS you were kind of cr*ppy but you cooked me lots of meals for £30 and made me realise that multi-fuel stoves are perfect for me. In the future I will probably buy an Optimus nova simply because I'm attracted to the all-metal design (nothing against MSR and co. it's just a personal preference). Maybe others looking at the budget end should have a look at the Fire Maple range, they seem to be higher quality than BRS but about £40.

CIi7jMP1vqUNPqYC-DVoXi1O9Gm7hl00AHlTIXHvEx8=w62  3-h831-no

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very practical review :D

£30, well used even it was far from perfect, doesnae owe you anything, and time for an upgrade. Fair enough :)

Thank you for posting and the straightforward explanations :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

ollyboyd

Dec 2, 2013
Scotland
cheers Toddy, felt a bit guilty throwing it out without an obituary. Hopefully this'll be useful to someone thinking of buying one so they can weigh up the options.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Be Interesting to see if anyone else has had the same problems with theirs as they are quite popular.

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
Mine had petrol squirting out the top bit of the pump one time and i had to throw loads of water on it to extinguish it before I was engulfed in flames and featured on an episode of 999, dunno if an o-ring went or something i posted in the other thread but no one answered me (page 1 you could have burnt me to a crisp ;) )

bit apprehensive to use it after that as you cant really mess about with petrol, had thoughts of it clinging to my skin and there being nothing i could do to extinguish the flames

I like cheap chinese goods but with petrol and flames involved you need the confidence in the kit,

ollyboyd

Dec 2, 2013
Scotland
Mm yea I would say about 30% of the stuff I buy is from China so I'm in no way anti-Chinese stuff but I think that a fair judgement of the stove would be it's about low-medium quality. If you're not happy with an item which burns pressurised petrol being low-medium quality I would maybe leave it.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have one not used it as much as that, but have had no issues as of yet... for £35 you cant go wrong, nice review and fair as well, think if you had a MSR or an Optimus with these Issues the there is loads of room to complain.

You have shown the down falls of buying one of these, and also shown that given the chance they can be a good way to get the mid ground and have the experiance of using a Multi fuel with out the cost, just to see if its for you

Thank you for teh review :)

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have the same stove as well, had for quite a while now and used on about 15 trips so far, no problems here but I do take care of it by keeping well maintained like my MSR XGK-2 stove (battered after 15 years of use bent base but still works well). Also I find if you do not keep the pump on it it lasts a lot longer also I use the same lube as you get in the primus stove repair kit or MSR maintenance kit keeps it all right.

Nov 16, 2015
Abingdon
Hi Olly,

My stove is also leaking from the orange knob, I have wrapped the o rings in PTFE tape for now but would like to properly repair as it's been a good little stove, you said you replaced the O rings in yours, what size did yuou fit and where did you get them from?

Cheers
Richard

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
I can't believe that people are still using these after the OP detailed his stove's various failures. I like saving money as much as the next guy, but seriously folks, you can get a 2nd hand MSR Whisperlite stove for sub £50 on eBay these days. Why would you risk using one of these Chinese knock-offs when for £20 more you could have the real deal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE