One for the leather guru's

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys,

Couple of quick questions for you master leather workers if you don't mind.

I want to make a simple but nice leather sheath for my laplander saw, but I don't particularly wanna spend £30 on 1 I would rather spend that on some tools and have a go myself.

My questions are -

Has anyone come across a step by step guide on making a laplander sheath? Google didn't really show me anything.

What basic tools would I need?

Would 2.5 mm leather work ok?

What would you use for The stitches?

Can I buy leather already dyed?

Are there any far more obvious questions I should be asking lol

Other than wet forming a sheath once iv got no experience of making any leather goods at all so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Laplander sheaths are pretty straight forward to make a pattern for. 2.5mm will work just fine, all you will need is an awl, some decent thread and needles. you can space your stitches and align them with a fork if need be. and yes it is possible to buy pre-dyed have a flick through ebay and see what comes up

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Laplander sheaths are pretty straight forward to make a pattern for. 2.5mm will work just fine, all you will need is an awl, some decent thread and needles. you can space your stitches and align them with a fork if need be. and yes it is possible to buy pre-dyed have a flick through ebay and see what comes up

Cheers for your reply mate. What do you mean by decent thread and needles exactly? That's one of the places I'm struggling to find info on.

Cheers for your reply.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have moved away from LePrevo, they are very very slow compared to places like Tandy, not as competitive.

If you have the leather I can bung you some thread and some needles, use a kitchen fork to mark the holes for even spacing, some contact adhesive to keep it together whilst you make it and you should be good to go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE