Old West Firearm question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
A good while ago now section 2 ammunition (most shotgun stuff) didn't need a licence to hold but generally needed an SGC to buy. Why you would want it without a shotgun I can't imagine?
Still doesn't require a licence to hold AFAIK. That's handy as it means it doesn't need locking away, so easier to store for those who use a fair bit.

Reactions: British Red

misolgit

Oct 19, 2021
Berkshire
Just watching " 3:10 to Yuma" on Netflix

So an Old West period movie.

My question is more specific to the energy of the Firearm rounds had back in this day?

Modern day firearm rounds have fungible predictable 'power' or energy released that can obviously be measured with modern technology and the loading of each round is a known quantity.

So 9 mm Parabellum , a fairly ubiquitous round has an energy output of 567 to 676 Joules.

So does anyone know what a typical energy / joule output would be of revolver round back in the days of the Wild West?

I'm assuming the quality and refinement of the gunpowder was variable and due to tooling manufacture margins and tolerances within the handgun themselves were not as accurate meaning less energy transmitted.

So anyone have any knowledge on this?
quite apart from anything else, Black Powder as a propellant is Hygroscopic ie it will literally suck moisture out the air so keeping ammo clean and dry was REALLY important

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I don’t know about the multiple formulae determining ‘ power’
I carried the 1911 in the service-
NOT the slight upgrade 1911a1. It was my grandfather’s US NAVY stamped, 4 digit From WW1
It’s grandfather was the .230 grain Scofield revolver load issued to the US Cavalry. The criteria? Founder a horse to stop opposing charges. The later Colt Single action used this same load. Civilians got the 255 grain with a double bite of the bullets tumbling after penetration.
The .45 acp reflects its ancestor in load.
Interesting, a old study of ACTUAL
One shot stopping hits in modern encounters had the 45 Colt and .357 magnum topping the list. A famed NYPD detective loaded a 405 grain in his first chambered round.
I also owned a Webley-Fosbury .455. I recreated the famed ‘man stopper load of a 300 grain reverse wad cutter ( cylindrical bullet with flat ends, base slightly concave) with an exaggerated concave point. I saw a round go down range, hit the red oak target base ( ok, I pulled the shot) and after a short shiver the entire thing topple over. Scared the bejesus out of the LEO shooting his new wunder 9 laughing at my Zardoz revolver.
Big bullets do what little bullets want to do

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Im pretty sure that I read about a 1300 yard kill made during the American civil war with a Whitworth rifle that had a hexagonal bore and (I think) percussion primer.
Worth reading up on Whitworth rifles if you've got a bit of time.

Reactions: TeeDee

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Going back to the muzzle energy question, there should be recommended specifications for pretty much any combination of American firearms and ammunition published by SAAMI or European firearms by CIP, even for historical firearms. This doesn’t address the earlier percussion pistols that had interchangeable pre loaded cylinders.

Last edited:

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
That ‘interchangeable’ percussion cylinder is a Hollywood gimmick dreamed up for PALE RIDER with ol razor blade eyes, anti firearm Clint Eastwood

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
Just watching " 3:10 to Yuma" on Netflix

So an Old West period movie.

My question is more specific to the energy of the Firearm rounds had back in this day?

Modern day firearm rounds have fungible predictable 'power' or energy released that can obviously be measured with modern technology and the loading of each round is a known quantity.

So 9 mm Parabellum , a fairly ubiquitous round has an energy output of 567 to 676 Joules.

So does anyone know what a typical energy / joule output would be of revolver round back in the days of the Wild West?

I'm assuming the quality and refinement of the gunpowder was variable and due to tooling manufacture margins and tolerances within the handgun themselves were not as accurate meaning less energy transmitted.

So anyone have any knowledge on this?
Some energy info here

Reactions: TeeDee

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
@British Red, yeah when I said it’s difficult here that was also in reference to fewer dealers carrying it anymore. I suspect due to the cost I mentioned when compared to the modern substitutes. Black powder is classified as an explosive and as such it has to be shipped under more costly “hazardous material” procedures. Whereas the other powders are classified as “solid propellants.”

@British Red and @slowworm thanks for the info.
As stated above black powder is classified as an explosive and nitro powders are propellants and a lot more stable .Both are shipped under the ADR regs for hazardous materials but are considered different ‘classes’
BP vs Nitro - 1.1D vs 1.4C for example

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE