old tool new tool

Hi everyone,
i was inspired by a post titled fan bird-"from a fun chalenge" posted by elines on 28-12-2011.
Now not having a suitable riving knife and not able to buy one.(on a budget).I had to have a think about how i could make one. So i had a rummage through my car boot, junk shop buys.I found an old boxwood spokeshave that i thought i could do something with so i made this.

Started from this...
GEDC0064.jpg

GEDC0063.jpg

Ended up with this...

GEDC0189.jpg

regards chris.

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
From my limited knowledge about making fan birds I 'd say that the tool you have made should work well as it has a thin blade, and the length ?about 3" is about right too (well - it's the same as the commercial ones anyway)

I remember reading somewhere a discussion on whether the blade should have a single or double edge with the consensus being that it should be single - but may well be just a matter of taste and both seemed to work.

Would be interested to see what you produce. I'm finding that it is not necessarily a case of each one being better than the previous one!! (But they do seem to get generally better with practice)

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Looks like a beech wood spoke shave to me, not box.
Great to see people find inventive solutions to tools. I made my first riving/push knives from inch wide bandsaw blades. You want the blade short as it quite bendy.
Single bevel is the best all round, you off course can use all sorts of tools, but when riving out .5mm feathers out of a hard wood such as ash the single bevel knife really makes a big difference.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE