Old Tilley servicing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Hi Ladies and Gents!

I've just bought a 1964 Tilley X246A from ebay and will service it when I am back in the UK over xmas. I've used Tilleys loads when I was back in scouts but never had to service one. What are the usual things that need checking/cleaning?

I'll get one of the 'Old 498' service packs from http://www.base-camp.co.uk/tilley.html to replace seals and I'm aware that the generator tube can sometimes get clogged up with carbon deposits.

Thanks in advance :)

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Thanks udamiano!

Although base camp seem to be recommended ordering from them looks like it'll be long winded as they don't have an eshop and you have to phone, fax or post your order in. No big deal though as I have Skype credit, just a little inconvenient.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
make sure the vapouriser pricker is in good nick as well you should be able to feel it over the top of the vapouriser with the valve fully closed. a good way to clean the sooty deposits from vapourisers is to heat them with a blowtorch then quench them it all falls out of the end then

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Everything that has been said is accurate for Tilley servicing IME

One other thing that can give problems is if the mixing chamber and air tubes are blocked.

If the lantern has been sat in a shed for a good while often spiders etc move in and the airways get blocked with web and other stuff.

Pull the hood off of the lantern and then flush the mixing chamber and air tubes out with hot water. A surprising amount of crud comes out. Once the water is running clear set it aside to dry out.

If the airways are impeded in anyway the lantern will not function very well at all.

Cheers John

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Having just got a Tilley Lamp myself I have been watching this post with interest

Please let us all know how you get on

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Oh I'm just gathering info, the lamp is currently in the UK at my parents place, I'll service and pick it up when I go home for xmas, so a little way away. I was mainly wondering what replacement parts I'd need so I can buy them and they'll be waiting for me when I get home :)
Have fun with your new purchase too!

However I'm thinking of doing some sort of servicing guide as good ones seem to be thin on the ground in internet land.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE