Old style axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
While looking for a maker of usable 'hawks I came upon this page for the Trade axe and Tomahawk Collectors Association - TATCA It's got some nice pictures of trade axes and hammer poll hawks as well as diminutive bag axes!
I've also found this Sokyra page in (mostly) English about the style of walking stick axe used in the mountains in South of Poland (and other countries) - known as a ciupaga to most in Poland. In Hungary they are known as "fokos" and there are a few more very minimal resources on these scattered about.
axe_intro.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bet I could do a handle........maybe not that pretty but functional

Worth thinking about as an idea.....would need a nice Singteck leather cover to be safe....nice lon head with a beard to make the handle....would make a fascinating project though!

Red

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
There is a plan here http://members.shaw.ca/harnas/guild/sokyra/axe cocept.jpg but I think it was plasma cut so I don't know about what a traditionally forged one looks like. The head is pretty like a tomahawk but with finger grooves
1st%20cut.jpg

end%20view.jpg

The problem is that the project page is the only page not translated and it is not in normal Polish (so I've been told - I wouldn't know :) ) but the Gorale dialaect making it hard work for my girlfriend to explain to me!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting.

I think the profiles a bit too broad, but we could sort that out. Then we would nned to put some sort of ferrule over the end..I like the style of the one they've used.

I'd go for a much more oval profile on the wood too - far more comfortable in use as an axe. The idea is sound though....definite potential. Light axe head, but that long helve would pack a heck of a punch.....

Trouble is you can't get the hickory over here....Ash might work...or an adapted large axe handle thinned right down........

Hmmm

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Handles would have orignally been ash I'd have thought as its a European design. There should be an alpine (pointy) ferrule on one end - they are meant to be combination walking stick, shepherds crook, spear, axe, seat (to lean on) etc. I should be heading to Zakopane in 4 or 5 weeks which is the capital of the Polish Highlands so I'll hopefully find some more info then. Most modern ones are shiny repros not working tools :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE