'Old' nettle wine...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Ive just pollished of my nettle wine and beer from this spring and im wondering why it is that you only use the young leaves.
Im sure its something to do with the chemical content, but wondering if it is worth doing an old nettle beer? particularly if it is bottled with sugar to make it quite 'lively' and increase the sweetnes

But has anyone else tried ?

While im on the topic - Burdock, when should one dig up the root? I understand that the plant is a 2 year cycle, the first just leaves and the second it puts out flowers and seed. Presumably then you want to catch it before if flowers to get the best root. Given the time of year now, is it worth digging any up ?

!??!?!

thanks all

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Guess you never tried eating old nettle leaves!! Bitter, but far worse they form crystalline crystals in leaves that gives a gritty texture like fine sand. So probably not a good idea!

Would like to try making Nettle brews myself, just got into Homebrew but only really made a cider from scratch. Done kit beers.

Roy.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Not good for sufferers of kidney stones....young ones are not too bad and I realy enjoy my nettle soup - despite being on medication for kidney stones!

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Thanks for all the comments folkes.
Now you say it i have heard about crystal forming compounds in old stingers!

Colin yip ive done the oak leaf before and its not bad but i would say nettle is much better. More flavour to my mind! There is also something satisfying about making nice things out of the little stingy blighters!

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I make nettle wine throughout the year and while some of you wine tasting connoisseur types might disagree, it still makes quaffable wine that does all that home made wine is meant to do :beerchug: :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE