old fishing tackle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Hello everyone, been a very long time since i have posted here, hope its ok, to just jump back in?

Anyhow, after a probably 10 year absence, I am going to start fishing again. dug out some of my old gear yesterday, and had a better look at some gear which i inherited from my great uncle about 25 years ago!

rods and reels look more than serviceable. got a canvas tackle bag/seat and matching rod holdall, both could do with a clean and a little TLC, would look great when using the old rods and reels.

I also have a nice old landing net, same brand as the luggage and brolly, Efgeeco, which looks useable. however the net has quite large 'holes' and looks nothing at all like the more modern nets. so my question is, is just the net replaceable? would like to use it but obviously dont want to get into any sort of trouble and/or damage any fish with such an old net, plus would be a shame to fit a whole new frame and net to the old handle.

thanks in advance

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Take the landing net to a chandler. Buy enough of the right type of cord, learn the knots and make a new net. A great task for really rotten wet days. A custom net with different colored cord shows you know what to do when most don't.

Log burner going in the warehouse on the wharf, rain pounding hard with thunder and lightning, the waves are smashing the break-water, sit and properly mend nets.

Reactions: eel28

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just buy a new net that conforms to the latest standards, cheap enough from any decent tackle shop.

It is illegal to use a knotted net, all modern net material for landing and keepnets is woven so no knots, so tying your own to use is not an option, but as a project to keep your old one going as a memento it's may be worth doing.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Just buy a new net that conforms to the latest standards, cheap enough from any decent tackle shop.

It is illegal to use a knotted net, all modern net material for landing and keepnets is woven so no knots, so tying your own to use is not an option, but as a project to keep your old one going as a memento it's may be worth doing.
As there is nothing wrong with the handle or the net frame, buying a new net is a waste - in my opinion - all I want to do is replace the actual netting

Reactions: Robson Valley

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
As there is nothing wrong with the handle or the net frame, buying a new net is a waste - in my opinion - all I want to do is replace the actual netting

I think you might struggle to find replacement mesh for it. Does the handle have a female thread for attaching a new net?

If you pop the dimensions up of the frame I'll see if I can find anything

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I think you might struggle to find replacement mesh for it. Does the handle have a female thread for attaching a new net?

If you pop the dimensions up of the frame I'll see if I can find anything
You might be right, had a quick Google last night but got more and more confused!

It's a triangular net which measures 22 inches across the furthest two corners from the handle - didn't think to measure the length of the arms I'm at work tonight but can measure them in morning if it helps?

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Educate me please. What makes it a criminal act to use a fish landing net with knotted cord material?
C'mon Kepis you know where RV lives, a bit of context might help. Probably the majority of the fishing in the UK is 'pleasure fishing' I.e. fishing for fun not for the pot, therefore gear needs to be aimed towards a healthy catch and release system, knotted mesh is quite harsh to the scales and mucus of 'coarse' fish (interestingly I think coarse derives from there eating qualities)

• Haha
Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thank you, PRCM. Appreciate the information.
Here's a bit of my playground. km20 up, more or less.
Can't get there for now, major rock slide blew out the road

Attachments

• HolmesBs.jpg
    HolmesBs.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 3
  • HolmesJs.jpg
    HolmesJs.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
You might be right, had a quick Google last night but got more and more confused!

It's a triangular net which measures 22 inches across the furthest two corners from the handle - didn't think to measure the length of the arms I'm at work tonight but can measure them in morning if it helps?

These could be worth a look, knotless mesh, quite a large mesh size so it would look a bit traditional. Designed for a round net really but I can't see why it wouldn't work:

https://www.sportfish.co.uk/replace...oBWsuVECag6f3uaSkJNyfQWq5cK7F1KRoCIM0QAvD_BwE

Just need to pick the right size...

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland

I have the same net and handle, with a bit of research on Amazon / ebay I found a replacement net for it that conforms to all regulations, the actual net itself is round but fits the triangle with no issues

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
These could be worth a look, knotless mesh, quite a large mesh size so it would look a bit traditional. Designed for a round net really but I can't see why it wouldn't work:

https://www.sportfish.co.uk/replace...oBWsuVECag6f3uaSkJNyfQWq5cK7F1KRoCIM0QAvD_BwE

Just need to pick the right size...

I have the same net and handle, with a bit of research on Amazon / ebay I found a replacement net for it that conforms to all regulations, the actual net itself is round but fits the triangle with no issues
thank you both very much for your responses

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE