Old Fashioned Sweet Tooth

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
But you're wrong; it's good :D :D and you jump in everytime it's mentioned to let us know that you don't like it.

Root beer ? is that the stuff from sassafrass ?

M

I do don't I? :lmao: Ah well, it is good to be predictable. Different tastes and all that. I might go and try a root beer. I might like it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, it's an old argument :D

If it is the sassafrass stuff then it's pretty easy to make....if you make it like our old fashioned ginger beer I mean. It's sold by Amazon ....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joannas-Garden-Sassafras-root-powder/dp/B009EAHUQ4

We don't have a thread about the old soft drinks, do we ?
There was one years ago about making dandelion and burdock, and we have a fair number on wine, but maybe we could do a 'soft brew' one ?

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Another favourite that our american cousins introduced me to at this time of year is something called "divinity" - a bit like a soft white nougat, absolutely yummm! .....

My Grandmother used to make Pecan Divinity this time of year. Man I miss that! It's too humid in Florida to make it often, but your right, it's extremely rich!

.....Root beer ? is that the stuff from sassafrass ?M

It used to be made from sassafrass roots (it also used to be called Sarsparilla back in the old West) not anymore though. The FDA declared sassafrass a carcinogen, but you CAN still get real File (pronounced "Fee-Lay") made from crushed sassafrass leaves. Oddly, "sassafrass tea" is brewed from the roots as well (not the leaves)

.......If it is the sassafrass stuff then it's pretty easy to make....if you make it like our old fashioned ginger beer I mean.......

I'm not sure but I don't think it's quite the same process.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Er is that supposed to be hot choc and squirty cream

Looks a bit cold to me

It IS cold. LOL. A "float" is ice cream floating on a soda type soft drink; preferably soft-serve ice cream. Usually either Coke or Root Beer, with Root Beer being the most common. It should always be served in a frosted mug as well (although as kids, we used to make our own by just pouring some of our bottled drink over the ice cream in the little, single serve cups. It goes back over a century but really hit it's heyday in the 1950s with the proliferation of drive-ins where the waitresses roller skated to your car and hung a trsay on the door under your window for your food.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....We don't have a thread about the old soft drinks, do we ?
There was one years ago about making dandelion and burdock, and we have a fair number on wine, but maybe we could do a 'soft brew' one ?

M

That sounds like a fun thread; especially if it includes drinks that can be home brewed.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Love them :D, and though A&W's up there, I think Mug just pushes past it for smoothness ;)

Yep, A&W is good, as is Mug, and also Dad's. But the best is Barq's. It's not as sweet as the others and is the only Root Beer with caffeine. Barq's has bite.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
For anyone interested in trying it, Chinese wholesalers often sell it (no idea why) and though not A&W you can buy glass bottles in Tesco at the moment in the world food aisle

Plus one to this, .75p for a can in Nohopeton. Love it! Not as nice as North American A&W though but still hits the spot. Got one last weekend for the walk home from town.

Yeah. A&W is a burger and ice cream chain; originally they were the 1950s style drive ins.

Now I'm jonesing for a whistle dog and onion rings and a root beer to wash it down. They used to do a thing called moose milk at our A&W, it was a mug of 50/50 milk and root beer. Sounds all kinds of wrong but tasted oh so nice.

KA Caribbean Grape soda is awesome for floats too, there's no grape Crush in the UK sadly...

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
KA grape soda gives me a headache.

I remember root beer from burger places in Central london when I was little
I liked it, I also liked the sasperilla cordial my school friend got sent from relatives in the Caribbean.

Iru brew was called red lemonade in eire when I was a toddler. I remember it making me feel all jittery and giggly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE