Old British Army Poncho. Advice needed

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Hi,

After looking on and of for several years for a poncho from the late 80's that I never got rid of, I found it in my Dads garage last weekend whilst clearing it out for demolition.

Now the problem is, it was tightly rolled in a 58 Pattern Poncho Roll, that when I unrolled it, (very chuffed), the inside was 'sticky' or 'tacky' and needed pulling apart. I have hand washed it in warm soapy water and aired for a few days, but it is still a bit 'tacky'.

The questions are: Is this normal? Is it fixable? or is it past its best?

Thanks

Chris

The 58 poncho had a coating on the isnide that usually flaked off eventually. I've not heard of them being tacky but I do know that some squadies sprayed them with wd40 to help waterproof them on the outside.

It sounds like it may be past it's best, you could always air dry it on the line to see if it makes a difference and then spray it with wd 40 on the outside or thompsons waterseal and then try it for waterproofness.

Dec 16, 2007
Cover it in talc. Thats waht I did when I had a tarp with seam sealent that was sticking together.

Just put baby talc and rubbed it in no longer tacky.

May 5, 2009
it's still waterproof just talc it on the inside like swampy99 said but if you've got a 58 sleeping bag use the poncho to waterproof your bag aswell that was its other job

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
As it happens, the brother in law has a 'new' 58 sleeping bag that he has only used the once. Told me I could have it just after I told him I'd bought a new sleeping bag!!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive heard people before saying spray wd40 on to poncho's to waterproof them, but isnt wd40 a solvent? (a) would it not eat /damage the nylon,(b) i wouldnt like it on my clothes under the poncho,(c) i wouldnt want it on my skin under the clothes under the poncho.
surley a waterproofing silcon type spray etc would be better.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ive heard people before saying spray wd40 on to poncho's to waterproof them, but isnt wd40 a solvent? (a) would it not eat /damage the nylon,(b) i wouldnt like it on my clothes under the poncho,(c) i wouldnt want it on my skin under the clothes under the poncho.

WD40 is a proper mans' aftershave, what are you talking about?!

:D

wd40 is what some squadies used probably as thats what they had in hand that they could use. Thompsons waterseal as an alternative was suggested which is the mutts xxxts in waterproofing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE