Ok ready do go for it

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Hi there guys,tonight we had an incident.
We hit a good size roe buck,minced the front of my wife's car but we had no chance of avoiding it.
Now the thing is ive been veggie for 15 years but only coz i was employed by a company that done work in places such as chicken factories.
The bottom line is that ive hunted with my air riflle for many years and gave what i shot away,tonight i took our roe buck to a buddy of mine who gralloched it with my help in his shed.
Now ive no probs with getting my hand in and dealing with a dead animal.
I supose a lot of you guys will say im a bit soft but im starting to think that id like to try a bit of this buck as i kind of killed it.
The thing is ive been thinking of trying to get into centre fire shooting for a while but was worried that no one will take me serriously but ive had my shot gun lie for 25 years and had disclousure for 5 years.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
AFAIK, if you hit an animal in a car (deer, pheasant, rabbit etc..) then you are not allowed by law to pick it up & take it away with you. Something to bear in mind & definatly not something to tell the FLO about....

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Easier to get away with it though with a pheasant or rabbit. Must have a decent boot to carry the deer off. Only done that with pheasants myself, carefully winged and then brained ones that is!! ;)

Neumo is technically right of course. Happens a lot in Scotland. You can usually tell cars that have hit deer they have no bumper. Used to see that a lot when I used to go up to highlands canoeing end of October.

Slightly off topic but has anyone noticed the deer in the Lakes are easier to spot? I wonder if the populations are actually getting a lot bigger?? I generally see them every time I do the eastern fells. They are spreading west a bit too. I suspect they are in the western fells too but perhaps not as many.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The thing is ive been thinking of trying to get into centre fire shooting for a while but was worried that no one will take me serriously but ive had my shot gun lie for 25 years and had disclousure for 5 years.

Quite the opposite, There are many people on here as well as in wider society who are borderline/unnaware when it comes to animal husbandry and living conditions. I wholy respect your standpoint, having seen the conditions that stock lives within. The meat that my family eats now, mostly comes from the local area, from farms where I know (or know of) the farmer personally and know the conditions they live in. When we lived in the south-east, all meat was supermarket wrapped & from a faceless supplier - a totally different taste to anything we get now.
I can't think of a better reason to begin shooting.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE