Oil spill

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
At bushmoot, wife packed a used bottle of cooking oil and the lid came off in transit (I never transport oil usually, but she's a bit green)

Anyway, my seats wiped clean like magic (well chuffed with whatever chemical they use to treat them with) but my jack wolfskin tent has taken the brunt of it and absorbed away.

Having recently washed and treated it with tekwash, it's a bit annoying to go through the process again. Is that my only option? If so is there a source of the stuff (or similar stuff) that is cheaper than gocamping?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Techwash is a soap and doesn't clean oil/fats very well so will need a couple of washes. I buy all the nikwax stuff in litre size, it's much better value.

I don't bother with Techwash much anymore TBH, I've switched to Woolite, liquid soap and am trying Ecover delicate ATM. It seems to do just as good a job and doesn't mask the DWR if rinsed well. I really struggle getting soap flake residue out.
I understand Techwash is essentially a liquid soap with rinsing agent and a chemical to stop the hard water from effecting the soaps action .

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Would Fairy Washing up liquid not work as its a degreaser?

That was my thought as well. Dawn brand is commonly used by environmental rescue groups cleaning petroleum based spills from affected animals/birds. And in the OP's case, the oil is actually a cooking oil which it was designed to clean.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Washing up liquid is detergent, which is a no-no for most modern fabrics and especially for DWR treated stuff. All my decent stuff has always stated steer clear of detergent under any circumstances..........
Just go again with good quality liquid soap as Teepee recommends and rinse rinse rinse...........cheaper and less hassle than a ruined tent, IMHO....................atb mac

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Cheers, I think this model was a one off, it's amazingly easy to put up, sturdy and long. I love it (had it over 14 years) and don't want to ruin it :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Fairy Liquid is pretty good from and eco point of view but I'm not sure you'll get rid of residual staining although the proofing may come back after treatment.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
That was my thought as well. Dawn brand is commonly used by environmental rescue groups cleaning petroleum based spills from affected animals/birds. And in the OP's case, the oil is actually a cooking oil which it was designed to clean.

Washing up detergent isn't that good for oil and grease-its used because it's food safe and reasonaby safe for our skin. It's used on birds because it's safe for them too, whereas biological powder would probably have their feathers drop out. Pure detergents, like Tide for example are far better at cutting through oils.

From reading I've done, detergents mask the DWR and reduce it's effectiveness. If rinsed away well when wet and reproofed, it should get back to original as Rik says, but I don't think it's worth the risk unless really needed and the oil on Tims tent has oxidised.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
I'm not to sure what your tent is made out of, (I'd be surprised if it was wolfskin, but could be wrong), but my suggestion would be to get it really warm, over a radiator, and keep wiping it with a rag. If you can get it over 30c, then the oil will go really runny, 40c would be great. Just get it warm and keep rubbing it, without spreading it.

Some Glycerol from bio diesel making would shift it in no time, but I'm not to sure what it would do to whatever fabric it is made from.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Washing up detergent isn't that good for oil and grease-its used because it's food safe and reasonaby safe for our skin. It's used on birds because it's safe for them too, whereas biological powder would probably have their feathers drop out. Pure detergents, like Tide for example are far better at cutting through oils.

From reading I've done, detergents mask the DWR and reduce it's effectiveness. If rinsed away well when wet and reproofed, it should get back to original as Rik says, but I don't think it's worth the risk unless really needed and the oil on Tims tent has oxidised.

Your fist paragraph is certainly logical. But regarding the second paragraph; what is DWR?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE