Oil cloth tarp

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Following on from my leatherwork thread I thought I'd also post a picture or two of the tarp I've recently made. I've always fancied an oil cloth tarp but haven't got the money for the pathfinder or equivalent one so bought a few metres of wax cotton from eBay and made this....seems OK but damn heavy! Yet to be road tested fully but seems pretty substantial. All sewn together on my 70yr old Singer 99k!

uploadfromtaptalk1411484335199.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1411484356365.jpg

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Cool! Fancy having a go at one of these but the weight really is something to consider. My DD 3x3 tarp is so light for the size but delicate with it.
Cheers
Phil

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's something truly substantial about a heavy tarp :) it feels real somehow and not fly away plastic/nylon.
It won't hole with the occasional spark, doesn't fret you so much if a branch rubs agin it a little, it doesn't rustle and whisper constantly in a wind and it's quieter in the rain too. Darker to sleep under as well. Even unwaxed the cotton will swell in the rain and if it does come through just draw a finger down to the hem and the water will follow the line.

The weight's the devil in the detail though :sigh:
An effort and a half sewing it too. Looks really sound though :)

atb,
M

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Thanks Rik..:)

Yep, you're right Mary,that's my thinking too bit I think this fella is going to be for short walks from the car only.....unless I get me a mule :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE