Oil based Polyurethane.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peteswright

Jun 10, 2017
Sheffield
Hi. I need to find an oil based polyurethane to seal my boiled linseed oil stained carved figures. Being new to all this, don't know what is commonly used and easily available. Deft spray is recommended but does not seem to be around in the UK. Would prefer Matt or Satin, clear, spray or brush on. What do other carvers amongst the members use please? ATB. Pete.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Be interesting to hear what people say, but it is worth noting that if the advice to seal comes from the US, they tend to have a much harsher climate for wood products. Summers can be very humid, or in some places brutally hot and dry, while winters in other places are crazy dry. I have seen multiple examples of wood products which were quite happy for years in the UK shrink badly and crack when taken to the US (New York and western Kentucky).

I have stuff that I carved in lime, yew, birch, beech and box that I may have oiled, lightly waxed, or done nothing to, and all have been fine here without varnish sealing, although most were seasoned before working, or were cut green so they didn't include the centre of the tree.

peteswright

Jun 10, 2017
Sheffield
Thanks for that info Chris. Yes. most of my learning about carving is from US based vids on the tube (Gene Messer) so maybe just antiquing with BLO will suffice. It was more for protecting the piece from constant handling by the thousands of admirers really LOL!!! ATB. Pete.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE