Oh Deer!!!!!!!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, its my nephews 6th birthday next week,and i said i would give him a bushcraft themed party. So i am putting up the teepee in our garden,and dressing them up as Native Americans,war paint and all. I am also having an open fire so they can cook Sausages and toast Marshmallows. And they will have to track and find my daughter,who will be cammo'ed up and hiding in the hedge rows. And as a little thing to remind them of their adventure i today made these Split Willow Deer.

Hopefully this might fire their imaginations and get them playing out doors more often.

Anyway heres the herd.

slitwillow.jpg

slitwillow3.jpg

And a little close up.
slitwillow2.jpg

Well,wish my luck,and thanks for looking

Cheers Stuart.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neat :D They'll love a party like that :cool: Are you going to let them have a go at archery too ? :D

You could make dreamcatchers :).........I'm working next week end in Glasgow doing that very thing with kids at a Festival; I've made rings of willow to use as the hoops.

Good Uncle's are brilliant :) mine's nearly 90 and he's still making things :D

cheers,
Toddy

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,thanks for the comments,and wishing me luck :rolleyes:.

Nice deer. Is that a Roe skin or Munty? It's difficult to get the scale.

Hi SS,its a Roe hide,that i tanned myself.

Now that's a party they'll remember.

Oh and good luck,you'll need a wee beer after that.

Hi Tam, aye a think i will probably need a lie down in a darkened also :lmao:

I would like one of those too! :D :D where did you learned to make these? They look quite tricky to make

Hi milius,i learned to make these from a book by Thomas j Elpel, and they are quite easy,once you get to grips with the technique.

Yes, we demand a tutorial !

Hi Androo, i will try to put one up.

Neat :D They'll love a party like that :cool: Are you going to let them have a go at archery too ? :D

You could make dreamcatchers :).........I'm working next week end in Glasgow doing that very thing with kids at a Festival; I've made rings of willow to use as the hoops.

Good Uncle's are brilliant :) mine's nearly 90 and he's still making things :D

cheers,
Toddy

Hi Mary,i will have to give the dreamcatchers ago. As for the archery,i think i will hold back with it ,as i'm sure the neighbours would have to lock up all their pets :lmao:

Again thanks Stuart.

Last edited:

ScoobySnacks

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2012
Berkshire
Thought it was Roe but I'm more used to them on the animal. Looks nice, good bit of tanning there. Something I keep meaning to try and never get round to, next one I shoot will go that way.

Wish I'd had an uncle like you when I was growing up! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE