Ogham and some tooling

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
It's been a busy day for me! I have some Ogham commissions coming up in the near future so decided to try something basic out. A simple cuff with 'Bushcraft' in Ogham script.

cimg2220nc.jpg

I also wanted to try tooling something new as i have been doing a lot of knotwork lately. i deicded to carve the logo for a metal band i know from Perth where i used to live before moving down here. have added a couple of WIP shots. EDIT: added a better photo

cimg2223h.jpg

cimg2215j.jpg

cimg2217l.jpg

excuse the photos the light is bad right now i rushed out to make use of the sun but just missed it.

thanks for looking any constructive critisism from the leather pros would be appreciated. i cased the leather overnight and it was good for tooling at the time but since bevelling the leather has come up very slightly around the cuts which is bloomin annoying anyone know how to stop this happening? i used to think it was becasue i didnt case the leather properly but now after casing im not so sure

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Beast man, the nerrus cuff is looking mighty fine, he shall be a happy chappy indeed I'm sure. Loving the first cuff too man, all tasty work

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Ah I see. Well I know he's got a leather jacket with patches on it, I reckon your one would go a treat as the main one on the back of it man

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Love those Hamish, particularly the ogham one :) Where does that script originate from? I love things like that, I'm planning on doing some theban script pendants when I get the time.

Rachael x

Dreadhead

anyone help me with the tooling question?

i cased the leather overnight and left it wrapped up in a palstic bag and it was good for tooling at the time but since bevelling the leather has come up very slightly around the cuts so there is slightly less definition than before. anyone know how to stop this happening? i used to think it was becasue i didnt case the leather properly but now after casing im not so sure

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Although the Stohlman books do say about casing leather overnight, I've never left it that long. I would normally wipe it with a damp sponge, perhaps 3-4 times, and then wrap it in clingfilm for maybe 10-15 minutes before working on it, and redamp it part way through if it takes a while to complete. Which makes me think that perhaps it was left too long.

I don't do much tooling at the moment, but here's an old one from a couple of years ago on a strop commission, with evidence of the re-damping. You'll know which stone this comes from!

strop_18.jpg

Geoff

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
That looks COOL.. I love the bottom one mate! I cant wait to show my new bits off you made me. Ps sent yesterday 1st Rec :)

Dreadhead

Although the Stohlman books do say about casing leather overnight, I've never left it that long. I would normally wipe it with a damp sponge, perhaps 3-4 times, and then wrap it in clingfilm for maybe 10-15 minutes before working on it, and redamp it part way through if it takes a while to complete. Which makes me think that perhaps it was left too long.

I don't do much tooling at the moment, but here's an old one from a couple of years ago on a strop commission, with evidence of the re-damping. You'll know which stone this comes from!

strop_18.jpg

Geoff

Thanks Geoff before i would just wipe it with a damp songe several times and leave for 15 mins but i think your clingfilm idea is a great tip i will try that out! just carved the exact same knotwork design on a cuff this morning wil see how it turns out :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE