Off to Russia in Feb.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Anyone know of any bushy bargains I should be looking out for in Moscow and St. P? It's a touristy holiday rather than an outdoorsy one but I thought this might be the place to get some cold weather stuff. Anyone know of army surplus shops and suchlike?

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
i dunno about the cities; but when we emerged from the Karelian backwoods to a small town there was a bloke with a market stool selling some pretty nice winter kit.

cheap. but not so cheap.

look in the markets though - if there are any :D

timf2009

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2009
Hamburg Germany
Off your topic but a word of warning: in Moscow if you see someone drop a wallet or money clip don't be a gent and pick it up to give back to them. It's a common scam that when you do give it back they accuse you of having taken money from it and involve the local police. It happened to a colleague of mine recently and caused him a heap of trouble.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Off your topic but a word of warning: in Moscow if you see someone drop a wallet or money clip don't be a gent and pick it up to give back to them. It's a common scam that when you do give it back they accuse you of having taken money from it and involve the local police. It happened to a colleague of mine recently and caused him a heap of trouble.

Thanks for the warning!

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
AND if you will travel off the city do not have your best gear and stuff with you. My mate lost all his hand made knives to the local cops, they WILL USE anything they can against you to get some caps (money). I was told that if you want to travel in peace you should look tramp :DD

Anyways. have a good trip. And yes there are army surplus shops in moscow and a good one's and I think local chaps will tel you. Markets will be the best bargain for fur stuff.

Last edited:

DannyDanDan

Dec 4, 2010
Colchester Essex
Hi Kerne,
One of the best bargains I have found in Russia are sheath knifes made by “Pirat”. You can find them in almost any fishing/hunting/hardware shop and they are as cheap as chips (about a tenner) they make normal plain looking knifes and awful looking things that a chav pirate would be happy with, but the steel is great and holds a good edge. Avoid the folding and lock knifes, hinges and pins seem to be a problem for the ruskies.
Winter clothes, you can find them everywhere, in all manner of different camouflage patents but they wont all be waterproof. It’s not needed when it’s minus 25!
All the best
Danny

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE