Off Ground Fire.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I'm trying to look at disposable off ground fire solutions. I'll be camping on a site that allows no ground fires this month, however i'm backpacking so i don't want to be lugging anything with me.

the idea is to stake 4 posts and setup a frame, then lay green logs over that then several inches of dirt. then light the fire ontop of that.
it'll be a foot off the ground but i'm not sure how doable it really is, has anyone ever done this?

does anyone know of any other solutions?
thanks
pete

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Can you cobble up some kind of lightweight firebox from something Pete ?

I'm thinking some kind of mesh or lightweight grate maybe ??

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
MelonFish:

I know you said you didnt want to "lugging" anything, but this is so light it wont matter...

Grilliput Fire Bowl - http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/fire/grilliput-fire-bowl.htm

Grilliput-in-use3.jpg

Used mine loads of times on the beach and in the Park and Gardens in Brighton, never scorched a thing!

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hi Pete, what you are describing is how we used to make alter fires as a Scout.

If you can use wet clay as the top layer and you'll be fine.

Scoutbase have a fact sheet that show a picture, sorry I can't link it as the school server wont allow me to!

Here is a link to the whole fact sheet...

http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/facts/pdfs/fs315076.pdf

Found this image which may be useful too...

camping_fires_003.jpg

Simon

Last edited:

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Simon thats exactly what i was looking at, and thats a cracking link m8 cheers.

Primarily we want a bit of warmth as its January! so that'll help but i also want to have a go at cooking over an open fire and get a bit of light going at night so we don't have to just sit in the tent bored and using batteries, as we're basically In delemere forest i doubt we'll have any issues finding firewood.

Lamper, i like the grilliput bowl, what kind of effect does it have on grass though? i would have thought it would still burn the ground? cracking idea mind and well worth considering for out and about.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i can reccommend the fire bowl it has mini legs and is raised from the ground but mainly for a solo fire / cooking pit but probably not what your after in this instance

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Hmm, i may give this a go before i dissapear anywhere myself, build one in the back garden, plenty of fallen wood to scavange local for this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE