Ochre?

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I've been mooching around on Google and other search engines and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for, I was hoping that some one on here could help...:D

Where can you find (wild) Ochre (red or yellow) here in the UK?

I don't really want to buy it if I can help it, I'd rather get it naturally with out damaging the earth.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Around here I think most of it came from the Campsie Fells. There's a fair bit above Fintry on Dun Hill. I've never been collecting, just read about it in various sources.
One of the paths(north of the burn) up Benlister on Arran goes past a patch of it. As a kid I trudged though it once and my shoes were stained for the rest of their life.:rolleyes:

Also know of a couple of wee streams that run through iron-rich areas and have sediment pools of fresh stuff that seems very similar. Not sure if it's ochre, sure looks like it though.

Don't have any to offer but if you can't find any round your way I'll take a wander up Dun Hill, been meaning to for ages anyway.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Thanks for the links, they are really helpful, looking at the geological ideals that ochre is formed in, there should be some around here, we are based on limestone and clay so hopefully there is some here!

Stephen, the Jug Knot rocks :D

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I found some dark red clay in rock in feild that is soft enough to draw pictures with, and mixes with water to make paint. i don't know if it ochre or red marl. I have seen yellow sagger grade clay as well near the same spot. The sheep wool I got from the same hill side has a pink tinge from the iron rich clay. Ludlow to kinver egde is red iron rich sandstone from what I remember the clays are more kidsgrove to dudley.

I can post some of the stuff I found if wish. It comes in different shades. Or i could give some at the next midlands meet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE