Oak-bark tanned bridle leather belts - commissions now being taken

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'm now taking commissions for these hand-made oak-bark tanned bridle leather belts. At the moment, I can do them in black or tan, but hope to be able to offer them in brown in a couple of months time.

bcuk_belt_01.jpg

bcuk_belt_02.jpg

bcuk_belt_03.jpg

bcuk_belt_04.jpg

The belts are made from traditionally tanned bridle leather, from J & FJ Baker of Devon (http://www.jfjbaker.co.uk/), the last remaining traditional tanner in England, on a site that has been a tannery since Roman times. The finest quality hides are prepared using English oak bark, in a process that takes over a year to produce the leather. They are thick (3.5 to 4 mm), strong, and packed with oils and waxes. To paraphrase the Carlsberg advert, “probably the best leather in the world”. I can only describe this leather as gorgeous – the smell, feel, and look are nothing like the standard veg-tan leather that I have been working with to date. The main problem for me is that if you buy one of these belts, then you'll probably never need to buy another one. :)

The belts are cut from a bridle butt, edges are chamfered and burnished by hand, the wider belts have an edge crease applied, the leather is waxed with Carnauba Wax, before the buckle is hand sewn on with linen thread. Finally, oval holes are punched in the tongue of the belt.

The buckles are steel or solid brass (your choice - I can let you have pictures of the buckles I have in stock). Belts have five holes punched at 1” intervals, though I can do more if you want.

For sizing a belt, you generally need a belt that is about 2” bigger than your trouser waist size. You can also use a tape measure to see what size your waist is on the outside of your trousers. However, the best method is to measure a belt that fits you (lay the belt out flat and measure the distance between the very end of the buckle and the hole that you use most). If you are interested, we can sort out sizing via PM. I should be able to do belts up to about a 50" waist.

bridle_07.jpg

Prices are £30 for the 1” belts, £35 for the 1.25” belts, £40 for 1.5" belts. Postage is extra at £3 for first class signed for within the UK. I’ll take Paypal, personal cheque (given time to clear), or direct bank transfer.

Please send me a PM if you are interested. I have some in stock, but if I don't have your size in stock, then it could take a couple of weeks, as I've got a few orders on from work colleagues at the moment.

Thanks

Geoff

Last edited:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Just for the record, if you see a link in this thread on the words "tanned bridle leather" - this is nothing to do with me, I didn't put it in and I have nothing to do with the target of the link.

The link appears to be automatically added by the "skimwords" software that is running on the forum, which apparently adds links to external sites where it spots a series of words that it recognises.

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
These belts are now available in brown (Australian Nut) as well as tan and black.

There's a bit of a waiting list at the moment, but please PM me if you are interested. People who have already contacted me or placed an order are at the top of the list.

Prices remain the same: 1" width £30; 1.25" width £35; 1.5" width £40, plus postage as noted in Post No 1 of this thread.

Thanks for looking

Geoff.

bridle_011.jpg

bcuk_belt_02.jpg

bcuk_belt_04.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE