O rings for SA trangia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Does anyone know of a place to buy o rings for the lid of an SA trangia burner? Had a bit of a blonde moment in the semi dark last night and fried mine!
As an afterthought I could replace it with a civvy trangia burner I suppose, a bit smaller and lighter but are they any better?

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Toots said:
Does anyone know of a place to buy o rings for the lid of an SA trangia burner? Had a bit of a blonde moment in the semi dark last night and fried mine!
As an afterthought I could replace it with a civvy trangia burner I suppose, a bit smaller and lighter but are they any better?
I bought a hi-gear one from argos for £6 including a natty wire stand a few weeks back. It is just as good as a real trangia burner and will be fine for an SA unit, however it is slightly wider than a standard one. The only word of caution is that it uses a clear silicon type washer which it not interchangeable with the trangia one and I have no idea if hi-gear would do spares.

Having said that I never leave fuel in mine, the lid is a bit battered and I don't trust the seal. I use a trangia fuel bottle and know that to boil a single pot of water on a normal day takes 4 seconds of pouring and adjust it from there :D

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
I reckon thats a plan! A trip to the local hardwear stores will be on the cards. Failing that the local surplus store is selling the whole thing for a fiver. Come to think of it a spare fuel bottle would come in handy.......................

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Danceswithhelicopters said:
The original Trangia bits are screamingly expensive. Try you local hardware shop for an exact size-match rubber O-ring-about 50p!
Good idea. Just be aware that it needs to be a material resistant to alcohol otherwise it will turn to sticky black goo and the fuel will leak!

The standard ones are not expensive items. Cave and Crag do them for £2 plus £1 delivery for a 2 pack of Trangia official replacements, but these would be a different size from the Swedish Army version. The link is here anyhow for anyone else looking:

Trangia Washers (Pack of 2 for burner cap)

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
After almost 20 years of using a Trangia, I would strongly recommend always transporting the burner in "dry mode" :)

Marko

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Another vote for 'dry' . I always pour the cool leftovers back into the bottle and light the burner again to burn off the residue. Spilt meths in a rucsac only happens once :rolleyes:

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
Toots said:

I find the standard Trangia burner gets up to 'vapourising' temperature much faster than the SA version (due to the reduced thermal intertia of its lighter construction I guess). This translates to a significantly reduced boil time.

I tend to use a civvie burner in the SA stove for this reason (although since I got hold of a Clikstand, I haven't used the SA trangia). The civvie model also has a proper screw top on the burner rather than the bayonet arrangement on the SA version.

You can get standard trangia burners from Needle Sports for £10.50 post free.

best
Matt

Martnz

Jul 31, 2006
Auckland NZ
www.portabyte.com
Hi Guys,

Have just bought one of the SA kits, and am very impressed. This site seems the best info available - thanks guys (and girls!). Guess there may be a huge amount of information on Swedish Langauge pages??

Have also owned/used a Trangia 25 for a while, and hope this might be useful info on O-rings...

Look for a business selling Hydraulic Equipment, and talk to their spare parts department.

Trangia "normal" version uses a 4mm x 48mm Nitrile O-ring.
(this is cross section x inside Dia x material)

SA version seems to be 4mm x 49mm. This slightly bigger ring ALSO fits (with a push!) my Trangia 25!

Incidentally, just made a "Simmer ring" for the SA version using the top 30mm of a Coke can. Enlarged the "tear tab" hole to twice it's normal size, and seems to work OK. Can probably use some fine tuning - guess others may already have experience with this?

Regards,
Martnz

Dec 19, 2013
NY, NY
HI I am in USA NYC area, I have found a supplier here Fastenel That carries the 4 mm X 44 mm o-rings at local store cost of 62 cents each American coin.

Thank you Martnz for the sizing.

sparkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE