Numpty's on the Loch; Campers face £500 fines for breaking Bonnie Banks ban

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Interesting, where are all the People who camp there now going to go ??
They will just move on to somewhere else, and cause the same bother there ??
I think half the problem is these People have no respect for anything or anyone.
Since the Right to Roam Law came out, some People think they have the right to go anywhere without a thought to what they are doing to the landscape.
Why does everyone feel the need to light a fire?? even using dead wood is destroying the creatures that use it as their home ??
I think this sort of ban will soon move to other areas, if People do not start respecting Nature.

MikT

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
Since the Right to Roam Law came out, some People think they have the right to go anywhere without a thought to what they are doing to the landscape.
MikT

I'm with you on this. As soon as these people do the stupid stuff (littering, lighting fires inappropriately... blah-blah-blah) they've forfeited their right to access.

The proposed bylaw isn't the real issue here; the enforcement and education of existing access laws are the real issues... and lack of this seems to be the ultimate cause of this bylaw intervention by the local authority.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
With that number of illegal campsites about, how about regulating them and getting someone in charge to look after them?

Then I guess the appeal of wilderness camping goes. Shame the many spoil it for the few!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think a large part of the problems at Loch Lomond are simply because it's so near major conurbations.

If this makes them think about their behaviour, it's a start.
Too many people in too small an area. Not everyone trashes it, many help clean it up, but too many just going for a barbie and a bevvie.

No other public venue would even consider having so many people with such very poor and limited infrastructure around. That's what it is really, a huge public park without enough parkies. There is a culture of littering in the UK, it's disgusting and shameful, but it's there. Until that changes, the alternatives are to clear up behind the numpties or make it compulsory in some way.

Be interesting to see how the situation develops.

cheers,
Toddy

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Interesting, where are all the People who camp there now going to go ??
They will just move on to somewhere else, and cause the same bother there ??
I think half the problem is these People have no respect for anything or anyone.
Why does everyone feel the need to light a fire?? even using dead wood is destroying the creatures that use it as their home ??
I think this sort of ban will soon move to other areas, if People do not start respecting Nature.

MikT

Totally agree 100% mate

There will allways be people with the attitude of 'the rules don't apply to me' and go through life trashing everything, as long as they get their own gratification they simply don't care about others or their sorroundings.

Since the introduction of Anti-Social Behaviour Orders, I feel these people are now just seeking out places away from the urban areas to just carry on regardless, they have no affinity with nature or the countryside whatsoever they just see it as somewhere to go and get smashed and caused chaos without the threat of being caught or a further ASBO.

It's not just Loch Lomond, we have this in a lot of areas in the English and Welsh countryside it's like a desease, it's soul destroying.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
bloody hellfire!
"a blazing barbecue was thrown through the window of a car, setting fire to its interior and destroying the vehicle. "

what the hell is going on up there? damned stupidity of some spoils it for the many. oh how we live that on a daily basis.
Pete

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There's also a thread here on BcUK about it.

Modded, I combined the two threads. atb, Toddy

I can imagine folks getting p***ed off if there's riots and idiots bringing chainsaws to cut trees down for fires.

Last edited by a moderator:

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
apologies for the dup thread, to be honest i didnt even check for other threads as i was caught in the moment. please delete if appropriate mods.

I just merged the two, atb, Toddy

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakata

Dec 16, 2009
Northampton
The law, if it came into force would probably be applied with desecration. I doubt they would bother a small group of people who are clearly not up to no good. Either way its the way things are these days, blanket punish everyone for the faults of the few.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I went to SW scotland wild camping last summer as I hadn't been up there since I was 10. Our first camp was in the Glen Fruin Valley. A beautiful place next to the river. When we arrived there was a few large fire scares, a disposible BBQ, Bottles, Cans and also a half burnt maths exersise book (I did look for a name on it). After cleaning up the mess and striking camp I went for a wander down stream only to find many trees wounded and some chopped down and just left. It was deeply upsetting, I have never seen anything like it. The problem is that the people causing the dammage wouldn't take notice of a ban unless the areas were policed 24/7.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Although i dont doubt this happened, i feel they are using this as an excuse to stop the camping on the loch as they have been trying to stop it for the last 3 years by the issue of parking tickets in the lay byes, which i have had a few and got them all stopped as they were illegal..

Whos up for a group buy legal challenge to the national park, we could get a law saying no neds, but full members of BCUK and SOTP are ok to do what we want as we help not hinder the national park....

We could start the arguement with "I HAD A DREAM AND IN THAT DREAM THERE WERE NO NEDS BUT JEDI BUSHCRAFTERS WITH COOL GEAR AND RESPONSIBLE FIRES" what judge could refuse that arguement. If we all chip in 20 pence i reckon we could fight them in the courts for at least half an hour, should be enough time, what do you reckon guys.....

Colin

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
aw well i'm headin up for a wee day trip wi my son on thursday to play about wi (practice) my hammock set up, shouldnt be many people around then. as you say jakata common sense should prevail with the authorities & we should be allowed to go about our business peacefully.

gaz your too rite about summer, it'll be heavin wi shell suit bobs, defo a no fly zone unfortunately!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Although i dont doubt this happened, i feel they are using this as an excuse to stop the camping on the loch as they have been trying to stop it for the last 3 years by the issue of parking tickets in the lay byes, which i have had a few and got them all stopped as they were illegal..

Which laybys are we talking about Col ? I often leave my motor overnight at Aldochlay and never thought about getting a ticket.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Aldochlay's fine, that's a parking area.

The road over the other side is a lot narrower. It's got a bunch of laybys, they signed most of them last year but before that it was hazy as to whether they were passing places or laybys.

They've just labeled them all passing places now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE