Not Quite my first spoon (pic heavy)

Ive been making a few Knifes recently (just started ) and have become fond of scaled smaller knives some times called 3 finger knives they seem to make a good camp companion espesially if you have a big old brute of a Bushcraft knife :D.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41400

So after making one and trying it in the Kitchen i decided to try it at Whittling a spoon
First thing is im not a spoon carver or whittler by any stretch ive hacked out a couple that looked spoonish and under Neil1s tutalage turned out a couple of passable spoons at the Cornwall RV this year.
Second is you cant carve a bowl with the knife i made So i decided to make a matching spoon knife both are prototypes so arnt real pretty to look at but show the idea.
Not being a carver ive kinda tryed to do the Spoon knife how i think it should be for what i want to do which is carve the odd spoon when out to use and to pass the time it has a spiral blade to give differnt radii as i always want a big and small Dia tool :rolleyes: as i only want to carry one

I was given a nice length of Rowan im trying to dry for Scales and decided to use a bit to try my set other than the two knives i only used my Gerber saw and a batton then a bit of sand paper to finish

I cut out a section longer than needed to try the battoning out on and it had a couple of knots

Rowspncrv1.jpg

trimmed to length with the gerber
Rowspncrv2.jpg

Power cuts to plane a flat both sides
Rowspncrv3.jpg

the small handle isn't as comfy as a bigger knife when pushed hard but i do have big hands and its a compromise . Though i cut the blank a bit short so it was harder to hold and i had forgotton how sappy and slippery Rowan is ( its why it makes good slide whistles;) )
Rowspncrv4.jpg

Rowspncrv5.jpg

Spoon knife works oks but need some change in grind angle to make it easier
plus the matching handle again makes it not ideal but still passable
Rowspncrv6.jpg

small dia end
Rowspncrv7.jpg

Rowspncrv8.jpg

choking up and using the pointy end for detail is much easier thn a bigger knife as you dont have the weight and you still have handle in your hand
Rowspncrv9.jpg

Rowspncrv10.jpg

all finished for the carving as i said im not an expert
Rowspncrv11.jpg

Here after a sand with 80grit and 280 grit left it for a day to dry some of the sap off before sanding then 2 days in Veg oil

Rowspnfin1.jpg

Design shape is the one Neil1 showed us on out Tutorial but as i cut the blank short it only has the one lump on the side :D and the little hollow o did in the handle is getting more small spoon like every time I do this :rolleyes:
Rowspnfin2.jpg

a very satisfiying spoon carves from my own knifes out of the tree my son is named from

and a lot learned for the next set of knives
and still have to learn leather work to make a sheath for the set :rolleyes: maybe a pouch that you can hang round the neck when using thou with the matching Mini fire steel its a bit big to wear all day

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE