Not how i expected a tree to mature.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
So I've been chopping and sanding some discs of Birch & Laburnum for a bit of art work.

The Laburnum had a bit of a crotch in it anf I was quite intrigued to see how the sapwood has changed to heartwood in this area.

I'm sure it's normal but i've not noticed it before - the advantage here being the extremes in colour. I would have expected distinct discs of heartwood, not the almost random 'splodge'.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have had this with Yew. Usually at the base of the tree where two sister trunks merge.
Very pretty but spells disaster for a potential bow. :(

ledders666

Jun 6, 2010
bath
So I've been chopping and sanding some discs of Birch & Laburnum for a bit of art work.

The Laburnum had a bit of a crotch in it anf I was quite intrigued to see how the sapwood has changed to heartwood in this area.

I'm sure it's normal but i've not noticed it before - the advantage here being the extremes in colour. I would have expected distinct discs of heartwood, not the almost random 'splodge'.

Was that piece of wood dead but still standing when you found it? I think that change in colour which is not inline with the annual rings is probally where its started drying. Perhaps the left side of the picture where the change of colour is nearer the center was facing the wind so is drying quicker?

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Was that piece of wood dead but still standing when you found it? I think that change in colour which is not inline with the annual rings is probally where its started drying. Perhaps the left side of the picture where the change of colour is nearer the center was facing the wind so is drying quicker?

I couldn't tell you if it was dead standing or not - been kicking around in my garage for a while so can't remember.

I would be surprised if it's to do with drying out after been felled. The colour is going to stay as it is now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE