Noswaith Dda

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Hi all

I've already posted a few bits and pieces but I thought I ought to introduce myself properly. My name's Steve and I live in mid-Wales near a town called Llanidloes (from experience I know that will mean very little to most people but if you start from Aberystwyth and go East for a bit you get here (turns out I'm very near Ogri the Troll who I'm sure you know)) with the missus, three cats and two dogs one of which is my avatar.
I build log cabins for living, along with a bit of timber framing and general wood butchering, but before that I used to do camera work, mostly on raptors, and have also had stints in many a Mac job to pay the bills.

I have always been a country boy with a bit of an obsession with natural history (I can sit and watch the world around me for hours, especially when I should be working) but am a novice at most of the stuff on this site (although I am working on my first knife at the moment as that seems almost compulsory).

I lurked for a while and really liked the atmosphere here, seems a very friendly place and I hope I'll get to know more of you all.

Yours an all that

Steve

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
In which case, allow me to be the first...Welcome aboard Steve!

We're all novices at some topic or other, I'm sure you'll be very knowledgeable at something, having lived this far from the bright lights that many have to suffer.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Welcome to the virtual campfire :D
It's amazing the amount of information that folks on the forum offer, I've never not had an answer, or several, to any question I've asked.
The meet ups are excellent too :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello there - read your post with the pictures of the cabin - impressed!
Nice to see more residents of Wales on the site!
Enjoy the site..
John

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Hi staghound and welcome, looks like a nice dog you have there always wanted a deerhound myself, nearest i got was a deerhound X greyhound, difficult dog to get hold of.
Nice part of the world your living in, good area for walking.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Welcome steve the staghound. Not beuing welsh myself, but wanting to show respect, can I ask please what does Noswaith Dda mean? I am english but I love welsh CHAIRS and welsh SPOONS I make quite a few.
What sort of frames do you do? Hand or machine cut, square rule or scribe rule?
cheers Jonathan

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Very nice part of the world you are in too!
Used to go on my hols up near to you for many a year.....in fact I still do now and again.
Good roads on the bike (although the most draconian eejit in charge of the police...... dont get me started!) Love the cabin, one day I will have one!
Dave

Bosun

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 30, 2003
Gloucester, UK
I'm learning "conversational Welsh" right now - or at least I'm trying to!

Bore da = Good morning (lit. Morning good)
Prynhawan da = Good afternoon
Noswaith dda = Good evening - the single "d" in "da" mutates to "dd" (pron. "th") after noswaith
Nos da = Good night.

I'm going through the usual stuff they throw at you when you're learning a new language. Intros, booking a hotel room, ordering a meal, etc.

I have to say that - with the possible exception of all of the rules governing mutations - I'm really enjoying it!

Hwyl/Bye

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Hi staghound and welcome, looks like a nice dog you have there always wanted a deerhound myself, nearest i got was a deerhound X greyhound, difficult dog to get hold of.
Nice part of the world your living in, good area for walking.

It is a great area for getting outdoors, lots of space and not too many people :approve:

Actually mine is not pure deerhound either either, he's about a quarter lurcher of some kind though he doesn't really show it. S'probably a bit big for working round here but he's only 8 months so too young anyway.

can I ask please what does Noswaith Dda mean?

I got beaten to the answer for this one though Bosun missed out the most valuable 'da' - Iechyd da = good health :beerchug:

What sort of frames do you do? Hand or machine cut, square rule or scribe rule?
cheers Jonathan

The framing I've done has been hand cut (give or take the odd chain morticer) and scribed, but I'm no expert, have only worked on three or four oak frame builds so far.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Hey! Just had a look at your log cabins page, to say I'm impressed is an understatement.
One day I'll have my own woodland with one of these in it.
You and everyone else alike :lmao:
From another Welshman - welcome to the site! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE