Norway trails and cabins?

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
Hi chaps
I am toying with the idea of a trip too Norway in the summer, and I understand there are trails requiring
different levels of endurance and also free basic cabins you can hold up in for the night.
Ive never been but it looks absolutely stunning with the added bonus of being on our doorstep (UK)
Also im a very keen fly fisherman and with the shear number of lakes and streams in this breath taking
wilderness, this would defo be on my things too do list.
Im no moutaneer and ill more than likely be travelling alone so im not looking for anything too extreme
at 38 my days of charging headlong up steep shale inclines have gone, and im looking for something a little
more gentle.
Ive done a search on the net but seem to get bogged down in package deals ect when really I just want
too get out there and go a bit Grizzly Adams for 2 weeks to a months.
Could anyone point me in the direction of maps, trails, travel advice, it would be very much appreciated
Cheers guys

Here you go...

http://english.turistforeningen.no/

Pay a joining fee then get access to the huts - many routes where you can walk hut to hut. Popular areas have serviced staffed huts in peak season.
Others are more bothy like - and you just get a members key.

Fishing-wise - some waters require a local permit (which sometimes covers your national fishing licence for that period too), otherwise you can buy the national licence yourself...

http://www.norwayoutdoors.com/licenses.php

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Wow Kard theres so right flash back to the past trips there , thanks for posting

Twodogs

I had these saved from when I planned my trip, they should probably be made into a sticky called "Norway, do's and don't s"

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I can confirm what David said on the huts. Just a few things.
Membership in DNT gives you a members key. But it does not mean that staying in the cabins/huts is free. You have to pay, but you avoid paing full price.

Also expect to have to share a cabin with others. But in many places it is likely that you may find yourself alone for the night.

Here is the prices....
http://www2.turistforeningen.no/files/DNT-Oslo/PriserEngelsk2013_print.pdf

If you are looking for free accomodation in the hills, there are quite many however, if you accept living a little rough. These are mostly owned by Statsskog

Statskog is a State-owned Enterprise (SOE) that manages public lands to perpetuate shared values. Statskog SOE is Norway’s largest landowner. Public lands amount to 61,000 km2, that is, a fifth of the mainland.

On their webpage you will only find info on their rental cabins in English. However they do have hundreds of smaller huts and shelters where you can indeed stay for free. There is a .pdf brochure on it in Norwegian only with maps of locations. But you need some local knowledge to find out where they are in Norway. But if you find out what part of Norway will be your start point for your hike, I'll try and find the huts in that region for you.

Other Norwegians on BCUK may also help. As my knowledge is rather local to Troms and Northern Nordland counties.

Else, with our right of access laws, wildcamping is an option specially in the summer. But if you go into the high country, you will need to be equipped for all seasons. People die up there, specially tourists who come ill equipped.

Anyway, popular routes are across Jotunheimen, Hardangervidda, Finnskogen, Pasvik etc...

But if fishing is what you want, I can recomend Dividalen national park if Arctic charr to 5-7 kilos may be of interest to you... You can fly in to Bardufoss direct from Oslo, and hopp on a local buss to whatever start point you desire. When you are tired of the hills, you come out to the coast on a local bus, and start catching hallibut and all the cod you can eat from the shore using the same rod you used in the hills for that charr...

Anyway, when you have more specific plans I can always try and find more info for you. Wherever you wanna go in Norway. It can be hard to find good info as not everything is in English.
As for the Oslo area...it's best avoided in the summer, unless you go really deep in. Simply to many people.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
I can confirm what David said on the huts. Just a few things.
Membership in DNT gives you a members key. But it does not mean that staying in the cabins/huts is free. You have to pay, but you avoid paing full price.

Also expect to have to share a cabin with others. But in many places it is likely that you may find yourself alone for the night.

Here is the prices....
http://www2.turistforeningen.no/files/DNT-Oslo/PriserEngelsk2013_print.pdf

If you are looking for free accomodation in the hills, there are quite many however, if you accept living a little rough. These are mostly owned by Statsskog

Statskog is a State-owned Enterprise (SOE) that manages public lands to perpetuate shared values. Statskog SOE is Norway’s largest landowner. Public lands amount to 61,000 km2, that is, a fifth of the mainland.

On their webpage you will only find info on their rental cabins in English. However they do have hundreds of smaller huts and shelters where you can indeed stay for free. There is a .pdf brochure on it in Norwegian only with maps of locations. But you need some local knowledge to find out where they are in Norway. But if you find out what part of Norway will be your start point for your hike, I'll try and find the huts in that region for you.

Other Norwegians on BCUK may also help. As my knowledge is rather local to Troms and Northern Nordland counties.

Else, with our right of access laws, wildcamping is an option specially in the summer. But if you go into the high country, you will need to be equipped for all seasons. People die up there, specially tourists who come ill equipped.

Anyway, popular routes are across Jotunheimen, Hardangervidda, Finnskogen, Pasvik etc...

But if fishing is what you want, I can recomend Dividalen national park if Arctic charr to 5-7 kilos may be of interest to you... You can fly in to Bardufoss direct from Oslo, and hopp on a local buss to whatever start point you desire. When you are tired of the hills, you come out to the coast on a local bus, and start catching hallibut and all the cod you can eat from the shore using the same rod you used in the hills for that charr...

Anyway, when you have more specific plans I can always try and find more info for you. Wherever you wanna go in Norway. It can be hard to find good info as not everything is in English.
As for the Oslo area...it's best avoided in the summer, unless you go really deep in. Simply to many people.

that's fantastic bumbler, ill no doubt be chasing you up on info, for now I have a lot of work to do, just researching seasons and areas
and just scanning google earth! and YES 5kilo Artic Char would very much be my thing :) tho im over the moon with a couple of pound of
wild trout, and I also hear the pike fishing is out of this world! as its summer the cabin idea is no way the be all and end
all, bivying up in that environment maybe some woods next to a lake would just be a dream come true.
Gunning for this now. thanks again bumbler!

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through

Any chance of a link to the PDF. showing the free cabins? I can't seem to find it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE