Norway - Fosen Peninsula

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Well, I'd never been to Norway before until this week and I had wondered what all the fuss was about but now....

...what a corking place!

I'm here with work until the end of the week and then back again in August for 3 weeks with work again. The scenery is absolutely stunning. We are on the Fosen peninsula and practically surrounded by water. The local economy is mainly farming and fishing as it's not a 'touristy area' but I honestly don't know why.

The area is mainly grassland and forest (pine and birch), with rich sea life, lakes and small bays (fjordlets?!?) with cabins and boathouses, and traditional wooden clad housing. I really am impressed - it's fantastic. The pace of life is gentle and the facilities are good.

I realise that, as a first-time, short-term visitor, I have my 'Utopian Vision' glasses on and the place will look very different in the winter (short days, cold, snow, etc) but it truely is a great bushcrafting region. I'll bring some stuff with me when I come back and maybe do a short camping trip at some point.

We went to Trondheim yesterday and that was a really nice, compact city, and I would love to bring the missus back with me sometime. I saw that most of the sports shops were selling a brand of knife called 'Helle'. I'm not a knife fanatic but I know a few of the brand names and I haven't heard of that one before so I've no idea if they are any good or not; however, they are clearly geared towards hunting, fishing and general outdoor life.

The weather's been reasonable with 2 days of cloud and rain, a day of heavy cloud, and 2 days of sunshine. It's a tricky area to get to, with long drives and/or ferry rides but that's perhaps why it is so quiet!

I would warn, though, that it is expensive! Most commodoties are at the same cost or significantly higher than they would be in the UK so, for any Canadians/Americans/Australians out there - it would kill you! Housing is generally cheap for what you get (large 4 bed houses with land for around 200-250k pounds).

So, now I know what all the fuss is about!

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi Mikey,

sounds great mate, don't suppose you managed to get any pic's?

From what you say Norway, perhaps unsurprisingly, sounds very similar to Sweden. It's one of the many places on my "want to visit" list.

I think Helle are quite a well respected brand, not owned or used one myself but i've heard several people mention using them on here.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Mikey
Ive got a Helle not sure which model but the blades about 7cm and the handle is made from antler, leather and birch.
Ive found it very good as the laminated stainless steel stays really sharp plus its a nice size. Paid about £60.
Glad you've had a good time.
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE