Northern Outfitters & the Iditarod

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I have chris yes! Some beautiful looking gear from that company. I couldnt remember seeing a boot though, so just had a look.
Very nice. True North Boot. The site says they wont be making any 2013/2014 season. Or their gloves either.

I really like their anoraks.

Wonder why they are not making any?
I have the wool Boreal shirt, great bit of kit, picked it up at the Wilderness gathering bring and buy a couple of years ago.
LOVE those anoraks and real fancy the True North Boot.

Best.

Chris.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The reason why you do not see wool used in such cold conditions is that it will require a huge weight in wool clothing. Per ounce it is not nearly as efficient as fill based clothing.

They also don't recommend using wool as a base layer because it retains too much moisture. They recommend either synthetic base layer or a synthetic-wool blend.

That makes sense.
What your personal opinion of Buffalo clothing?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race is a 1200 mile race across alaska, with temperatures reaching -60, sometimes more than -80 with wind chill...:Wow:All of the competitors seem to wear the same gear. Designed for the coldest conditions on the planet. All produced by a company called Northern Outfitters.
Apparently this is the best cold weather gear you can buy? Synthetic though. They sem to only recommend wearing woolpower underneath.
http://arctickingdom.com/documents/gear/PolarClothingPackages-Email.pdf

Northern Outfitters clothing System

[video=youtube;kPjHdH7y1Iw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPjHdH7y1Iw[/video]

This company also have some interesting looking stuff in their clearance section.

Instead of buying pac boots/mukluks, I've ordered some of their boots. [The ones where I dont have to buy socks. :eek:] Same pair lars monsen wears in his across canada trip.

This Arctic Maxx bib looks like it could be a bargain?

http://www.northernoutfitters.com/arctic-maxx-bib/

The question is; are they wearing/recommending it because they really, really like it, or are they doing so because said company is sponsoring them? Or some combination of the two motives? I'm asking for real because I have no idea which is true.

rg598

Native

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

rg598

Native
This website gives a good overview:
http://www.needlesports.com/catalogue/brand.aspx?bnd_id=bb44932c-324e-4a80-9488-9ca70118f5e7

I have a pertex and fleece jacket from Montane that is pretty amazing for comfort and flexibility, plus a 'summerweight' buffalo sleeping bag. Both perform beyond the manufacturers claims.

I know that Buffalo gear has been favoured for high-latitude sailing (due to super-fast drying properties and robustness).

Going just by the info provided on the above website, it should have very similar insulation per weight as wool (with variations depending on the exact knit). It seems to be a regular soft shell, i.e. pertex lined fleece. As such, it will be much faster drying than wool, will be more prone to damage from sparks, and will be less resistant to odor (assuming it is old school fleece material), but as far as insulation per weight, it should be very similar to wool.

Of course that would make it less efficient than fill based insulation in terms of insulating value per weight. Just like wool, Buffalo clothing should insulate you just fine in cold weather if you can afford to carry enough of it. It doesn't seem to be used much in competitive areas where the weight and portability of your gear matters.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It seems to be a regular soft shell, i.e. pertex lined fleece.
It's not fleece, it is pile.

Older, in theory less sophisticated.

In practise, the orientation of the pile (strands combed to be fluffy, like an animal's fur) draws water and moisture away from your body. That's why in the link they go on about wearing it next to your skin, no thermals underneath. The people who really like it seem to be people who have to do heavy work in cold conditions, where you can't avoid sweating.

The pertex is on the outside, to provide a wind barrier and a final moisture transfer barrier.

I know I've slept out in the summerweight sleeping bag with no cover - rain just wasn't an issue, ran straight through. I was warm and felt dry.

rg598

Native
It's not fleece, it is pile.

Older, in theory less sophisticated.

In practise, the orientation of the pile (strands combed to be fluffy, like an animal's fur) draws water and moisture away from your body. That's why in the link they go on about wearing it next to your skin, no thermals underneath. The people who really like it seem to be people who have to do heavy work in cold conditions, where you can't avoid sweating.

The pertex is on the outside, to provide a wind barrier and a final moisture transfer barrier.

I know I've slept out in the summerweight sleeping bag with no cover - rain just wasn't an issue, ran straight through. I was warm and felt dry.

A lot of modern fleece is very similar in structure. It is similarly used by people who have to deal with moisture which would destroy fill based insulation. It dries fast, and moves moisture very well. I'm not familiar with the fine differences between the two, so I can't say much more.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE