Northern Outfitters & the Iditarod

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race is a 1200 mile race across alaska, with temperatures reaching -60, sometimes more than -80 with wind chill...:Wow:All of the competitors seem to wear the same gear. Designed for the coldest conditions on the planet. All produced by a company called Northern Outfitters.
Apparently this is the best cold weather gear you can buy? Synthetic though. They sem to only recommend wearing woolpower underneath.
http://arctickingdom.com/documents/gear/PolarClothingPackages-Email.pdf

Northern Outfitters clothing System

[video=youtube;kPjHdH7y1Iw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPjHdH7y1Iw[/video]

This company also have some interesting looking stuff in their clearance section.

Instead of buying pac boots/mukluks, I've ordered some of their boots. [The ones where I dont have to buy socks. :eek:] Same pair lars monsen wears in his across canada trip.

This Arctic Maxx bib looks like it could be a bargain?

http://www.northernoutfitters.com/arctic-maxx-bib/

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
There are a list of episodes of the Iditarod on youtube, for anyone thats interested. Some great shots of alaska

[video=youtube;jZvVlo1RIG0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZvVlo1RIG0[/video]

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I have been ogling their kit for a while now, shipping is very high so they have stayed in the states until I can get over in person to get some gear.

The arctic bib and parka are on the list.

Please let us know how you get on with the boots Dave.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I have been ogling their kit for a while now, shipping is very high so they have stayed in the states until I can get over in person to get some gear.

The arctic bib and parka are on the list.

Please let us know how you get on with the boots Dave.

will do Pete. :)

I'll take a couple of snaps when they arrive, but I'm still trying to decide which course to go on in Feb time.

I'll post a thorough one then hopefully. [I dont know if they'll be any good for snowshoeing though.]

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Cheers Dave :)

You'll probably find them a bit warm for snowshoeing in Scandinavia, but they should be OK. Getting these big boots into the bindings can be a tight squeeze too, well worth doing some research on whether big boots will fit into your choice of shoes :)

Are you doing an arctic course mate?.
will do Pete. :)

I'll take a couple of snaps when they arrive, but I'm still trying to decide which course to go on in Feb time.

I'll post a thorough one then hopefully. [I dont know if they'll be any good for snowshoeing though.]

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Good point re -size Pete. ( evening Dave! )
I was thinking about my Canadian Army Mukluk for our Arctic trip, but they are bloody huge!
May fall back on my Lacrosse Iceman pack boots or a vintage pair of Lundhags ski boots that are two full sizes too big.
Best.

C.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Good point re -size Pete. ( evening Dave! )
I was thinking about my Canadian Army Mukluk for our Arctic trip, but they are bloody huge!
May fall back on my Lacrosse Iceman pack boots or a vintage pair of Lundhags ski boots that are two full sizes too big.
Best.

C.

Your Atlas bindings should be quite big mate, Paul got his plates in his and I remember the Canadians being about the same size as my Baffins.

rg598

Native
They have good stuff, but keep in mind that their clothing is very specialized. It is designed for mushing and for stationary work in cold weather like driving a vehicle, etc. It will not necessarily translate well to other pursuits such as backpacking.

The reason why you do not see wool used in such cold conditions is that it will require a huge weight in wool clothing. Per ounce it is not nearly as efficient as fill based clothing.

They also don't recommend using wool as a base layer because it retains too much moisture. They recommend either synthetic base layer or a synthetic-wool blend.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
They have good stuff, but keep in mind that their clothing is very specialized. It is designed for mushing and for stationary work in cold weather like driving a vehicle, etc. It will not necessarily translate well to other pursuits such as backpacking.

The reason why you do not see wool used in such cold conditions is that it will require a huge weight in wool clothing. Per ounce it is not nearly as efficient as fill based clothing.

They also don't recommend using wool as a base layer because it retains too much moisture. They recommend either synthetic base layer or a synthetic-wool blend.

I know your feelings on wool Ross.
Read the Snow Walkers Companion? I am more inclined to that school of thought?
In the Arctic, I use both .

Best.

Chris.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cheers Dave :)
You'll probably find them a bit warm for snowshoeing in Scandinavia, but they should be OK. Getting these big boots into the bindings can be a tight squeeze too, well worth doing some research on whether big boots will fit into your choice of shoes :)
Are you doing an arctic course mate?.

Thought so Pete. I've got the atlas ones from wilderness leisure. TBH, I originally wanted some steger moosehide mukluks, but an opportunity to get the northern outfitters ones for cheap arose so i snapped them up.
An arctic course? Thats the plan, yes. Ive got enough airmiles on the credit card to get me to sweden and back. :D No joke.
Got the funds and the will, and the kit. [Also got a chronic illness which can unpredictable and v. fatiguing. And sometimes I just need to go and lie down for a bit, so its a bit difficult]
So wont know until the last minute.

Ive been looking at 7-8 day long dog sledding tours, over lapland or jamtland mountains

http://www.jokkmokkguiderna.com/en/dog_sledding_crossing_lapland

http://www.davajtrekking.com/vacations/dogsled-artic-bushcrafttours-2011/

As well as arctic bushcraft courses where you dont have to walk far from your tent/camp.

Im not sure which will be more manageable.

I only got the shoes, so should be ok. I'd probably post nearer to the time to ask advice from the sub zero lads, on what to take Ross, cheers.
But a lot of my kit is wool.

Best.
Chris.

Hi Chris. Everytime I see that book advertised, it costs a small fortune.

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
If you can bare it mate, buy it !
It is a beautiful book, and a fantastic read.
I will keep my eyes peeled for you mate.

Best.

Chris.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
They both look great Dave. :) Sarek national park really is stunning, it's very high up on the list for a return. The area around Kiruna was very well catered for for sledding too-easy links by bus or train to the Tornetrask valley and Abisko and also not far from Sarek. As you go west from Jokkmokk, the landscape opens out and becomes really inviting. I hope your illness stays at home in blighty for a couple of weeks mate :)

As for Snow-walkers companion, there's a reprint coming -due 2014 to 2015 though.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Mad airport job mate. :) They are just too big to pack. Plus I can squeeze kit in the flare pockets of the boots. :)

The ladies love them too lol. He was chatting up birds all the way through check in when we went to Estonia.

I like the boots Dave. Be interested to hear how they get on

rg598

Native
I know your feelings on wool Ross.

Best.

Chris.

My feelings on wool aside, I was simply stating what this particular company recommends, or does not recommend. They don't recommend the use of wool as a base layer with their clothing. Obviously their clothing which we were discussing is not wool.

As far as Snow Walker's Companion, the terrain in which I travel does not allow me the luxury of such an approach. If it doesn't fit in a backpack, it does not come along. If the boots can not take on crampons, they do not come along. If it can not function above tree line, it does not come along, and if all of my insulation and shell layers can not fit in my pack, then they need to be made of different materials. :) To each his own. But anyway, I think we are in danger of derailing the thread.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Have you had a look at Empire Canvas Works stuff Dave?
They do a lovely boot!

Best.

Chris.

I have chris yes! Some beautiful looking gear from that company. I couldnt remember seeing a boot though, so just had a look.
Very nice. True North Boot. The site says they wont be making any 2013/2014 season. Or their gloves either.

I really like their anoraks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE