North Wood Bluebell Meet April 25 -27 2014

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I might have some blue draw rope for the communal tarp, scored 220m for £12.50 for work, delighted :D

Nice one Sal. :)

Please list your interest below only if you agree to the terms in post 1, indicate available dates ... and include this line in the paste:

1. woodspirits 25-27
2. Johnnyboy1971 25-27
3. Rev G 25-27
4. TinkyPete TBC (due to work)
5. MartinK9 TBC
6 Twodogs
7. NLW
8. PREPER (25-27 TBC)
9. Priam (dates tbc)
10. Karl82 TBC
11. Andy BB (TBC)
12. Metriaclima (25-early 27th)
13. briantrubshaw (25 - 27)
14. RRIris (25-27)
15. Turbogirl (25-7)
16. MJM1 (Thursday - Sunday)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Ohh a visit from our pioneer in the wild west! Hiya pardner ;)

Leather scraps eh Metri? May I ask what you do? We often have a bushy car boot sometime on Saturday, I think woodspirits posted a link to the meet sales and swaps thread further down this one, it's always worth a look and stating your interest in anything posted :)

I'll bring my old hand crank too Brian but if the weather is wet, I'll not bring her out - she did the last 50 years in a wet shed and I promised her never again ;)

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Hi Sally, :) Keep a tally on the chute expenditure rope fabsil silicon etc and I will reimburse you and John at the meet. I will probably up the fees by a £1 for a few meets to cover costs or take donations, and I don't mean empty beer cans! :rolleyes:

Sally if you do bring in your machine, perhaps you will look at some thin climbing tape for a possible turn up?

Last edited:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Sally, :) Keep a tally on the chute expenditure rope fabsil silicon etc and I will reimburse you and John at the meet. I will probably up the fees by a £1 for a few meets to cover costs or take donations, and I don't mean empty beer cans! :rolleyes:

Sally if you do bring in your machine, perhaps you will look at some thin climbing tape for a possible turn up?

I'm in agreement with the extra £1 for a few meets to cover the costs. :)

Please list your interest below only if you agree to the terms in post 1, indicate available dates ... and include this line in the paste:

1. woodspirits 25-27
2. Johnnyboy1971 25-27
3. Rev G 25-27
5. MartinK9 TBC
6 Twodogs
7. NLW
8. PREPER (25-27 TBC)
9. Priam (dates tbc)
10. Karl82 TBC
11. Andy BB (TBC)
14. RRIris (25-27)
15. Turbogirl (25-7)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Well the rope works out at 6pper metre :) We need 10ltr of fabsil which would be around £70, or we can make it from 3 or 4 parts white spirit to 1 part clear silicone (some of the threads suggest a thinner mix but repeat ing the treatment-even 5 to 1)- I used bathroom sealant tubes for my tarp, from a builders merchants. 8ltr of standard white spirit and 7-9x300ml tubes should do it.... uhhhh feel free to check and correct my maths, it doesn't have to be crack on but if I've made a glaring mistake, I'll stand corrected :) The best prices I've seen are B&Q white spirit 2x4ltr at £6.78 ea, 7-9x evostick clear sealant 300ml tubes £2.50ea =£31-36 tot.

Obviously being Johnnys chute, he might prefer it done with the proper stuff :) But if anyone can source the silicone or white spirit through work- or has staff discount on Fabsil or similar, shout out! Karls kindly offered the use of a large barrel to dunk it in, thanks to the White Rose Crew for that and their advice and experience from doing their own at their last meet :D And if anyone has an old plaster mixing bit, it'd help on the mixing. I think we'd need to take turns helping to mix the ingredients, its a beast of a job!

If its raining or the bluebells might be too disturbed, we won't be able to actually proof the tarp at the meet but it would be handy to source everything :) I might not make the summer meets so will leave you goodly folks to waterproof yourselves and the chute if the weathers not good enough at this one.

What colour is your dyneema-alike, Steve, I'll try to bring decent matching thread :) It's only a wee machine, not one of the big beasties, but we can have a crack at it- will it have high load on it?

Please list your interest below only if you agree to the terms in post 1, indicate available dates ... and include this line in the paste
:

1. woodspirits 25-27
2. Johnnyboy1971 25-27
3. Rev G 25-27
5. MartinK9 TBC
6 Twodogs
7. NLW
8. PREPER (25-27 TBC)
9. Priam (dates tbc)
10. Karl82 TBC
11. Andy BB (TBC)
14. RRIris (25-27)
15. Turbogirl (24-7) Unless the mozzies are out, in which case, 24th only probably ;)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Sally the chute is being sold to Steve so really it will be down to him which direction he wants to go with the proofing. Also I'm working the Friday so will be around 5pm before I can get to NW, not sure if it will leave enough time to do it at this meet(weather dependent). I'm going to dig the chute out of storage tomorrow and make sure its ok before trailing it down. Will post here to confirm its condition(was mint when it was put away).

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Sal I think if we expect people to fork out for this they should have a hand in deciding which route to go. So for this meet, and taking the bluebells into account we will use our current sheet. It's climbing tape not dyneema and yes it will be taking a heavy load so I'm thinking your machine may struggle, no worries. :)

John if you want to bring it down that's fine, we will use it at some point. With the chute and proofing it amounts to a few bob, that will have to be gathered over several meets so the regulars don't get stung every time! remind me what price we agreed.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Its the thickness under the machine that limits its capability, the stitch is as strong as a larger machine produces :) Brians may well have a better capacity if we can get it working well :D What colour is it and I'll bring matching thread :)

Ill bring the draw rope anyway in case its needed for the new pitch :) Sorry for spamming the thread but I thought id get the information down so options can be considered.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Got the chute out for an inspection and airing and all looking good.
964D7D94-8CFC-4D98-8D3A-F30D45AE2DCE-4205-000009A2E1B1E915_zps2199d055.jpg

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
If I can get a definate 'Fabsil is the way to go' from people I can get 10 litres for a decent price. Details via PM from Steve or Sal but I can bring it next week for future use if it can be agreed upon.

I can't always make meets, so now might be as good a time as any to sort this out :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
If I can get a definate 'Fabsil is the way to go' from people I can get 10 litres for a decent price. Details via PM from Steve or Sal but I can bring it next week for future use if it can be agreed upon.

I can't always make meets, so now might be as good a time as any to sort this out :)
I'm seriously considering doing mine with thompsons water seal for cheapness over performance but reading into the subject, performance is king for the NW communal and its a minter of a chute by the sounds of it so the fabsil could be money well spent :)

metriaclima

Mar 10, 2014
stonnall, staffordshire
having never visited before, I think everyone should make a small donation to help fund this and any other ventures, its a worthwhile cause and will benefit many in the long run, i'll donate on my first visit :cool:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
We've got the fabsil on order so the jobs ready for a future meet :) I'll be mostly sewing and relaxing this one, between learning pearls of wisdom from young Pete and shooting the breeze :) Really looking forward to it! Off roading with karl tomorrow, its an awful long walk next weekend if we break them ;)

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

1. woodspirits 25-27
2. Johnnyboy1971 25-27
3. Rev G 25-27
5. MartinK9 TBC
6 Twodogs
7. NLW
8. PREPER (25-27 TBC)
9. Priam (dates tbc)
10. Karl82 TBC
11. Andy BB (TBC)
14. RRIris (25-27)
15. Turbogirl (24-7) Unless the mozzies are out, in which case, 24th only probably ;)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
We've got the fabsil on order so the jobs ready for a future meet :) I'll be mostly sewing and relaxing this one, between learning pearls of wisdom from young Pete and shooting the breeze :) Really looking forward to it! Off roading with karl tomorrow, its an awful long walk next weekend if we break them ;)

If Karl's car breaks down, you can always put it in a rucksack.......................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE