" Normal" camping in the South West of England where to go ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
This year we have decided to take a camping holiday in the South West of England in the hope that the weather might be better there than the last few summers here in Ireland. Plus we like cider so the South West it is for us :D .

We will be driving from Ireland and will only have a week or so to spend so we do not want to waste time driving from campsite to campsite looking for the ideal one. We will bring our tentipi so ideally we want a place that will let us light a fire ( we usually light one in the barbeque after dinner ).

Our ideal campsite would be relatively close to the beach but not be one of the huge commercial type sites. We would like to be within walking distance of the pub (1-2 miles) so that we can get out for a pint at night.

Oh yeah and a bit of woodland nearby for me would be nice :)

We hope to get over in the second or third week of September.

We would be grateful for any advice or recommendations of sites and locations.

Thanks in advance

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
This year we have decided to take a camping holiday in the South West of England in the hope that the weather might be better there than the last few summers here in Ireland. Plus we like cider so the South West it is for us :D .

We will be driving from Ireland and will only have a week or so to spend so we do not want to waste time driving from campsite to campsite looking for the ideal one. We will bring our tentipi so ideally we want a place that will let us light a fire ( we usually light one in the barbeque after dinner ).

Our ideal campsite would be relatively close to the beach but not be one of the huge commercial type sites. We would like to be within walking distance of the pub (1-2 miles) so that we can get out for a pint at night.

Thanks in advance

Have a look on this site campsites that allow firesI've stayed on a couple of the sites listed, and found them as good as their listing.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Not sure it they allow fires but Putsborough beach just south of Woolacombe is fantastic
the beach it great for kids fantastic rockpools, lovely sand, surfing is excellent too.
The site is in a raised position so has stunning sunsets. Not been for a few years though and I think it may have changed hands.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
We visited this place a few weeks ago after seeing good reviews. Unfortunately, we were looking for somewhere to string hammocks and, whilst the owners were very nice, there wasn't really anywhere for us to go. However, reading the reviews here I think it may be worth consideration.

Seems to tick all of your boxes. :)

Martin

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK

Thanks in advance

You might want to post on ukcampsite.co.uk as there are a lot of people know about "normal" campsites. What part of the south west are you looking at?

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I have not decided which area yet. I was hoping to get some local knowledge first and make a decision then. I will have a good look on the ukcampsite forums later on if I get a chance. I reckoned people on here would know what kind of place would be suitable for us.

Thanks again to all for the advice.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I have not decided which area yet. I was hoping to get some local knowledge first and make a decision then. I will have a good look on the ukcampsite forums later on if I get a chance. I reckoned people on here would know what kind of place would be suitable for us.

Thanks again to all for the advice.

Np. I know the South of Somerset, South Devon and North Cornwall quite well so if you settle on any of those then I may be able to help. I do know of one fairly close to me here that is close to a large area of protected woodland that is also a SSSI.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Np. I know the South of Somerset, South Devon and North Cornwall quite well so if you settle on any of those then I may be able to help. I do know of one fairly close to me here that is close to a large area of protected woodland that is also a SSSI.

Thanks mace242.

Basically I have asked my better half to pick out the areas. She came back with Somerset, Devon and Dorset. I do not know why she did not go for Cornwall. I sent her on the link to the ukcampsites and she liked the look of one place but they are only open in August. Its a pity because it looked really nice there. If you can post up or send me a link to a website for any of the places that you know I would be grateful.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Wheal Rodney near Marazion, Cornwall. (they are mates of mine.)

Nice site, many facilities (without being pricey) respectable clientele

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I'm off to Slapton Sands next week for a bit of normal camping with the family, the site would be too organized by the sound of it for you though. :D

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
We visited this place a few weeks ago after seeing good reviews. Unfortunately, we were looking for somewhere to string hammocks and, whilst the owners were very nice, there wasn't really anywhere for us to go. However, reading the reviews here I think it may be worth consideration.

Seems to tick all of your boxes. :)

Martin

Thanks Martin, That does look like a good spot.

Wheal Rodney near Marazion, Cornwall. (they are mates of mine.)

Nice site, many facilities (without being pricey) respectable clientele

Thanks Tengu but I think it is a biy commercial looking for us. Does look nice there though.

If you venture into Cornwall, try this place on the western side of Bodmin Moor

http://www.southpenquite.co.uk/

They allow open fires, have their own yurts you can rent and can supply their own organically reared mutton. Nice spot too.

Intertidal

Thanks intertidal definitely one for the list.

I'm off to Slapton Sands next week for a bit of normal camping with the family, the site would be too organized by the sound of it for you though. :D

Thanks Andy2112, hope you have a good holiday

I have come across this place and it looks like a few bushcrafters have been there before but it has the civilisation of running water and showers etc. If you are these bushcrafters speak up and let us know what you thought of the place. What was the cider like in the local ? :D

http://www.freewebs.com/holestationcampsite/

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Thanks woodfella, sorry I took so long to reply but I have just seen the post now. I will check out the cider at that farm. It looks exactly like the kind of place I would like to go to.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Wheal Rodney isnt too busy, its mostly residential, and so they keep it quiet for the permenent folk.

(but they do have many facilities)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE