Noob from sunny (ha) Rotherham

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
Hi all, my name is Rog, and for some strange reason (mid life crisis perhaps?) I've got an urge to relive my childhood :). As a kid I was always off for walks in and around the woods near where I live, enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of nature far more than those of the town. I was, and still am a keen angler, so I've had lots of practice sitting in the rain (patience is a virtue :lmao:). Night fishing is best, combining fishing with camping, great way to relax IMO. I was in the scouts for a while and later the army cadets. That was a long time ago and I've forgotten far more than I can remember about bushcraft/ campcraft. And you can't just pick a spot in the woods anymore, nowadays if you don't have the landowners permission to camp you can't camp. I understand there are good reasons for this but it seems such a shame, we used to live in a "free" country :(.

The wife and I love camping, but we've only stayed on recognised sites rather than in the woods. The closest we've got to backwoods camping is a weekend on a scout camp. Nice little campsite surrounded by trees, but not really "backwoods" camping (they've got a toilet block and showers :lmao:) I'm looking into the possibility of booking a course or two next year and am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. You see, my wife has limited mobility (not ideal for camping in the woods really) so we're looking for a course that would suit us both, where she wouldn't have to do too much walking to get to the camp and I could go off and do the hunter/ gatherer bit while she helps around camp and maybe learns some new skills like wood carving and making cordage. If anyone knows of any courses suitable for less able bodied people, particularly in the north (but we don't mind travelling) the info would be much appreciated.

Oh, and thanks for having me ;)
Take care all, Rog.

Anzia

Nomad
Sep 25, 2012
Derbyshire
Hi and welcome! Those sound like great childhood memories. Good luck finding a course that suits you and your wife :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE